Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place for tree ID questions, so someone move it if I'm in the wrong place here.
This fell behind my house back last summer and I cut it off the road for the farmer. I really have no idea as to what it is. I was thinking some type of oak untill yesterday I realized the bark wasn't as most oaks in my area (NE Ark)
ea176d7b5883130dc6c005ed6f6ccebb.jpg
bbf5103f8e7d63883a061f7d507c5cb3.jpg
1f39983bd5d5ba4ecef9ac7973ac401c.jpg
59aa13f865b8eb4ef4acdfdef6a53e61.jpg

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Looks like Blackjack oak to me... does it stink like poop?
The red tint in the wood does look like blackjack. Been too many yrs since I've seen blackjack, but as I recall it's more of a small twisted tree. But growing in a different area it may have different growth habits.

The red tint in the wood does look like blackjack. Been too many yrs since I've seen blackjack, but as I recall it's more of a small twisted tree. But growing in a different area it may have different growth habits.
I was going by the black lines around the knot, blackjack is usually full of the black cracks.
It will grow into a good sized tree in the right conditions, I milled one that was 24" in diameter and nice and straight, but the lumber was full of the cracks / checks.
About the "poop" smell, all the blackjack I've cut stinks bad!!
I believe blackjack is a red oak variety / cousin, but I could be mistaken.

Oak maybe red oak [emoji848] I can confirm without a doubt that the tree is firewood
The colorings of this is what saved it from being just firewood [emoji847]
Idk what it'll become but I really like all the detail in this tree.

Can you get a good close up of some endgrain? That would at least tell us whether it's a White or Red family.
I can,, but itt would be from the stump I cut it from last summer. I just finished milling it all yesterday.
I'd definitely say red family.

Latest posts

Back