Carlton Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjorn773

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 20" bar for my 365. I see Baileys has Carlton bars on clearance. Are these decent bars? I've always used Husky bars and had good luck with them. I'm a firewood cutter, about 4 cords a year, so I don't necessarily need a pro bar.

I bought a Carlton 28" bar from baileys a couple months ago. It was the premium sprocket replaceable tip. I am happy with it, and you can't beat the price.

There are 2 different types of Carlton bars, the Japanese and German. The Tsumura bar has a "V" replaceable tip, and are also found under the Total brand that are available from JRed dealers. The German made bar has a single rivet, replaceable tip that is similar to Oregon.

I have only used the Japanese version and they are my favorite bars. I hear good things about the German made ones as well. Grande dog mentioned that the german made bars are less prone to bending at the tip.

Like Arrowhead said, you can't beat the price. :)

I have about a dozen of the Japanese version. They are all on bigger Stihl's, Husky's and one I have on a Dolmar 166. All work well and are handling the abuse I'm dishing out to them quite well. I like them however, I'm no pro.

If you go to that Baileys link you posted, and click on FAQ, Baileys say that bar is made in Sweden then it says Germany and uses Oregons tip. I would go for it.

Last edited:
If you go to that Baileys link you posted, and click on FAQ, Baileys say that bar is made in Sweden then it says Germany and uses Oregons tip. I would go for it.

Is this bar still made in Sweden? I will order one if it is. Thanks, xxxxx.
Posted by: xxxxxx from Sumiton Al on 4/9/2009
23 out of 43 people found this answer helpful
This particular bar has always been made in Germany

They are nice bars, great for the money!!! I would buy more if I could. The last one that I had I let go on my 757 Shinny.....

Mike

Mine is the Japanese Tsumura Carlton bar.

arrowheadpioneer

I put the German version on my 365BB, and a second one on my 044 after milling the slot for Stihl.

I am real happy with them. The only problem I had was the paint overspray had to be cleaned out of the bar groove with emery cloth or sandpaper before a chain would fit.

I have had all four types. I like the GB ones I have except it has an odd drive link count. The German one I got had a clear coat that was horrible. It melted and made a mess. I have one Sweden one (may not be Carlton, no label), I have yet to use. It looks like the German one, but no clear coat, gray paint instead. The Japan ones are one of my favorite bars. I have several in Jred/Total colors.

Both good bars. The Carlton Tsumuras are slightly better finished in my opinion and just ooze quality but the German ones are right up there too.

Are the German one's not rebadged Sandvik bars? If they are made by Sandvik I wouldn't hesitate to use them...looking into one right now as a matter of fact!

Back