Carlton SP 4102 -is it cutting correctly? Ever used a Green Wheel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsevigny

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thank you in advance. I am new to stump grinding somewhat. I have a Carlton SP 4012 with a 27hp Kohler. I realize this is not a very powerful machine, but it seems that is not grinding as fast as I anticipated. For example, how long should it take to grind down a 30" white pine, 3 inches high? I attached a photo.
Also, I posted a question asking if anyone has tried the new Green Wheel. The videos look interesting, but I would like a first hand impression.
I appreciate the time you experts take to help us newbies.

Thank you in advance. I am new to stump grinding somewhat. I have a Carlton SP 4012 with a 27hp Kohler. I realize this is not a very powerful machine, but it seems that is not grinding as fast as I anticipated. For example, how long should it take to grind down a 30" white pine, 3 inches high? I attached a photo.
Also, I posted a question asking if anyone has tried the new Green Wheel. The videos look interesting, but I would like a first hand impression.
I appreciate the time you experts take to help us newbies.

When grinding pine u must have sharp teeth, esp if it is fresh cut, u also have to get the first cut deep or u will be trying to grind with 2 much of the wheel and just bouncing the wheel, take small cuts, don't try and hurry pine, it is just 2 sappy and will not cut good, u should be leaving a nice smooth surface as u come across or your teeth aren't sharp enough, as far as time is concerned when i had my sc252 27hp about same as your machine, a 30 inch pine down 6-8 inches as best i can remember about 30 minutes, i hated doing pine with that machine esp fresh cut...

Hope that helps..

Bob......:cheers:

From what it looks like on your photo, it appears you are cutting too much on top of the stump. If you do this, you are trying to cut across the grain/fibres which is very unproductive. I usually make my first pass so I'm only cutting the buttress roots. Then slowly work into the stump. You want to cut so the tooth is cutting with the grain ie straight down (as much as possible). Also I found with pine, it can be easier to work to the middle and the move the machine around and work from the other side.

Of course, you are going to hear from those with the huge machines that can just power through the stump, but with a smaller machine you need a bit of finesse.

Oh yeah X2 on the sharp teeth.

Back