Carob Tree Weeping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeisun

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello: I posted the below on another thread and it was suggested I start a new thread. I have more pictures if that would help diagnose the problem.

I'm very new to the forum. So new I have no idea where and how to post questions. BUT I'm keen to figure it out because this site seems THE place to get valid answers. I have a problem which should prove an interesting case study. An old carob tree (estimate 70-80 years old). We made the mistake of covering the root system around the trunk (approx 20 feet) with decomposed granite and flagstone. A couple of years later the tree has literally started to weep (I'll try and attach photos). Lots of yellowing leaves but the good news is there is much new growth all over the tree.

I realize now that covering exposed roots is a real no-no but is there any hope and/or remedial action (short of removing our $10-15k landscaping). Thanks for any thoughts or advice Not even sure if this is being posted to the right forum.
dseisun
858-451 6080

Google gummosis and and see if that maybe is the problem. Carobs are prone to it. Also check for any signs of small borers. But I think gummosis , it's a bacterial disease.

Google gummosis and and see if that maybe is the problem. Carobs are prone to it. Also check for any signs of small borers. But I think gummosis , it's a bacterial disease.

Thank you. It may well be gummosis. particularly if that can be caused by covering roots or changing the elevation of terrain around the tree (We did both these things by building our patio with flagstones over the roots). Is there any cure or remedy? I've even thought of somehow injecting air into the soil. Or somebody mentioned boring a bunch of holes with some type of auger but I'm concerned about doing more damage than good.

Is the new growth a sign of recovery and survival?
Thanks again.

Back