Case Bearing Installation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, now that all the parts are cleaned, inspected, and laid out, it's time to start reassembling.

Our local guy is hoping to use this saw as a backup for one that ain't quite this worn out. What we have done is clean all the parts, then checked the bearing cages for cracks, and the crank for wear. Believe it or not, these parts seem to be in good condition.

Now Jon is heating the PTO side at the bar pad first. He'll get it hot enough that the bearing will just drop in. How long you have to heat it, and how hot, is just something Jon has learned for doing a **** load of saws.

In this picture you can see that he's installed the oil pump on the case. This is actually a junk pump that he keeps just for this reason. The oil pump is used to locate the depth of the bearing in the bore. When the case half is hot enough, the bearing just slides in against it.

Like this.....

No hammering or pressing is needed.

me likes the angled finned jug and the early flywheel ,it's just a diamond in the rough :D

Good eye my friend.....

I'm assuming it's an 046 or 066 your building? Are the cranks known to break or was it operator error?

The broken crank is from a 10mm 044. It probably had a million BF on the saw.

After a few minutes, the bearing will soak enough heat out of the case to allow the crankshaft to slide in. Again, no hammers, or special tools needed.

Now he heats the flywheel side....

While it is cooking, he got the gasket on the PTO side, and is ready for the flywheel side to just slide on. We use Loctite 518 here too. I hate leaks on anything......it's cheap insurance.

Making damn sure it's hot enough.

Drops the bearing....

After a few minutes, the heat from the case half soaks into the bearing, and the halves just slide together.

Outstanding! Looks much easier than the other ways I have seen it done. Gonna make my life easier when Im putting my 036 back together! You sir are very much appreciated!!:bowdown:

Nice write up Randy. I'm just curious the reason for heating indirectly, why not just point the heat gun at the bearing race?

If you'd care to, I bet a lot of guys would like an IR temp gun reading on the case when it's ready.

Nice write up Randy. I'm just curious the reason for heating indirectly, why not just point the heat gun at the bearing race?

If you'd care to, I bet a lot of guys would like an IR temp gun reading on the case when it's ready.

for some reason Randy cant log on ,i just got an email from him

Latest posts

Back