castor c70

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Y.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone run one of these? I might be able to buy one and was wondering if they are a decent saw.

Some vintage Italian magnesium right there. 70cc -I have not run one, but would say based on other saws of that vintage, decent torque and lower rpm than today's saws.

Where are you located, David?

Never been really popular here because it's very heavy and, much more critical, uses a ton of fuel. It makes a fine collector piece however, since it's mostly metal and with an unusual paint scheme, at least for early saws.

Be sure to get one stamped as "Antivib", meaning it has vibration dampening. Also check the fuel tank: first series saws had a metal tank right next to the cylinder. This meant they boiled the fuel over after less than half an hour of work. Second series saws introduced a plastic tank inside the metal one, not unlike period Echo's and others. This resulted in reduced fuel capacity but also in no more boiling fuel. The plastic tank could be retrofitted to earlier saws.
Also take note late-build Castor's tend to use some Alpina parts (mufflers, sprocket cover etc) and introduced what Castor called an "lubrication supplement" meaning a manual pump to increase bar oil flow during operation. It's thumb operated and wasn't a particularly bright idea...

Never been really popular here because it's very heavy and, much more critical, uses a ton of fuel. It makes a fine collector piece however, since it's mostly metal and with an unusual paint scheme, at least for early saws.

Be sure to get one stamped as "Antivib", meaning it has vibration dampening. Also check the fuel tank: first series saws had a metal tank right next to the cylinder. This meant they boiled the fuel over after less than half an hour of work. Second series saws introduced a plastic tank inside the metal one, not unlike period Echo's and others. This resulted in reduced fuel capacity but also in no more boiling fuel. The plastic tank could be retrofitted to earlier saws.
Also take note late-build Castor's tend to use some Alpina parts (mufflers, sprocket cover etc) and introduced what Castor called an "lubrication supplement" meaning a manual pump to increase bar oil flow during operation. It's thumb operated and wasn't a particularly bright idea...

Thanks for all the info. I was intrigued because it's never been used, brand new in the box. But it doesn't sound like something that I would be interested in.

Latest posts

Back