Cataba Worms Help Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygrant

Reaction score
I used to have beautiful Cataba trees, but for the first time in 20 years the worms have appeared on my trees and have eaten every one of my leaves, and the make the worst mess on my patio. I would like to know how to get rid of them is there a way to do this and to keep them from coming back?

Cut Bait

I just saw treeseer lookin' at this post so I'd better shape up and get serious. Seriously, if your trees are not too big to spray you might apply BT. Perhaps there is some systemic available. You could use the worms for bait. Some people covet a Catalpa that has worms for that very reason. Apparently your not one. If it bothered me I would, of course, cut them down and replace them with a better bunch of trees and be done with it. I recently saw a big Catalpa at Linn Park in downtown Birmingham, Alabama. It looks to be 60' tall if an inch. Quite an impressive Catalpa if I do say so. I can't imagine spraying this tree.

Last edited:
Is the worm purple with waxy coating?

Smart move, Brad, don't be messin around heah boy. If aI had a Catalpa over a n open area I may let them go, but over a deck? Control time.

Do you have, or do your neighbors have any four o'clocks in your yard? If you do, get rid of them, and the worms will not be back next year, unless one of your neighbors has them. I am not an entomologist, but I do know that the moth that feeds on the nectar of four o'clocks is the moth that makes all the little catapillars that we call catalpa worms. Conversely, if any of you have planted a catalpa tree in your yard and are wondering why it won't produce worms, plant some four o'clocks in your yard, and next year they will be there. Catfish love them.

Latest posts

Back