CBN Grinder Wheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and the new sales guy for my area aughta be/gotta be a blonde, cause he's dumb as a rock !!!
Wow, you're not kidding!
The guy from diamond didn't have a clue, said all he had was the solid wheels. Said they wouldn't custom make any, never has & wouldn't even know where to begin! I don't think Radiac & Diamond Wheel are the same company. Different locations & Radiac doesn't show any CBN wheels on their website.

yes chris, it is,
they will make you a wheel any profile you want, so i see no reason why you could'nt square grind a chain on a conventional style grinder like the usg..
Do you have the square grinder attachment for the usg?!?! Wanna sell it???

Do you have the square grinder attachment for the usg?!?! Wanna sell it???
i don't know that there is a square grind attachment for the usg..
but what i'm saying is with the proper angles on a profiled wheel, i don't see why it would'nt work ??

did'nt look through the link philbert posted yet..

Wow, you're not kidding!
The guy from diamond didn't have a clue, said all he had was the solid wheels. Said they wouldn't custom make any, never has & wouldn't even know where to begin! I don't think Radiac & Diamond Wheel are the same company. Different locations & Radiac doesn't show any CBN wheels on their website.
i think they are the now the same.
they had all my info in their system..

i don't know that there is a square grind attachment for the usg..
but what i'm saying is with the proper angles on a profiled wheel, i don't see why it would'nt work ??

did'nt look through the link philbert posted yet..
There was back in the day. The lower part was set up so it would swing into the grinding wheel instead of bringing the wheel to the cutter. You laid the head on it's side. I have some of the Stihl brand wheels that go with the square grind kit. I plan to modify my spare usg one of these days....sorry for the derail...back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Even with a custom wheel, the regular usg will not grind a true square grind. There's going to be some sort of radius where the top and side plates meet?

i think they are the now the same.

Different websites. Different addresses. Hard to keep track when companies buy and trade each other so quickly, but I would think that you would get referred to a common site.

i don't know that there is a square grind attachment for the usg..but what i'm saying is with the proper angles on a profiled wheel, i don't see why it would'nt work ?

I think that the square grind attachment is NLA. Attached, is a PDF I found for it for reference.

The issue with square ground chain on conventional grinders is the angle that the cutters need to be presented to the wheel (or vice-versa) in order to get the right profile. Lots of guys have tried, and there are a few threads here on AS, to get 'almost square ground profiles' using STIHL, Oregon, and other grinders. It is one reason why the dedicated square grinders can sell for much more.

As far as having a custom CBN wheel made for square ground chain, a few issues have been mentioned in other threads. One is the inability to change the profile if the user wants steeper or shallower cutting edges. This is not normally an issue with round ground chain, but the square ground guys always seem to be tweaking their cutter profiles. The other was concern about being able to get the critical inside corner with a CBN wheel, versus with a freshly dressed wheel.

Philbert

Attachments

• USG Square Ground Chain Sharpening Attachment.pdf
    496.7 KB · Views: 19
Well ,just to let some know costs ,above mentioned company just stripped, replated 2 wheels 80 grit and added coolant holes-cost $133 each also had a new one made $156-with 6% Pa Tax.
if it's the company i mentioned that starts with an "r", you probably had to deal with the same guy i did ??
how was your experience ??

Well ,just to let some know costs ,above mentioned company just stripped, replated 2 wheels 80 grit and added coolant holes-cost $133 each also had a new one made $156-with 6% Pa Tax.
Any pictures?

That's helpful info. Thanks.

How did you decide that the wheels needed replating? Did they just grind slower, leave a rougher edge, heat up?

Were the original wheels 80 grit? I would not know what grit to ask for!

Thanks.

Philbert

Yes it was the "R" co. which I did use a Paul guy and was great before..This time a little different but OK.Wheels were from 07 solid and 60 grit from F---y.Did great but would burn if hogging much and up to like 600 chains each,seemed to load up faster and since comparing results to the 100 grit with cooling holes wanted them added.The 100 grit was a lot smoother finish but sometimes in hurry could burn and just went to 80 thinking I'll have the best of both.Maybe a little more air in grind than 100.The greatest plus is the cooling holes.Pictures are hard for me too old school.

I run the Cyclone ABN/CBN wheels plus diamond wheels without the holes. As much as I love the ABN/CBN Cyclones I think the holes are actually more useful for weight reduction than cooling - the Cyclones are a steel wheel and heavy. I have a 7mm flat wheel for depth gauges and without the holes it would actually take a fair bit for my Speed Sharp Auto to wind it up to speed.
I have a hard time believing that the cooling holes have any noticable effect on cooling either the wheel or the chain. I've sharpened some seriously wrecked chain and I've never noticed any heat build up in either style of wheel or in the cutters themselves.
80 grit as mentioned is the best size. From new they start off a bit rough and aggressive but smooth out quickly - I actually run new wheels against an old bar nose etc to run them in a bit and take off the gritty bits (for want of a better term!).
The one great thing I've found with Greg Costin from Cyclone is that he provides outstanding service and help. You can get custom profiles for no extra charge which is especially handy for depth gauges. He'll also laser engrave your name or business name on them too for no extra charge. I stupidly ignored him and went with a flat 7mm profile. He said I should go a curved profile to replicate the shape of a factory depth gauge.

He was right, I was wrong :(

Back