CCW while firewooding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 gauge...why the over kill?

I stood beside my brother as a guy unloaded a12 gauge with only 8 low bases in it for grouse and when the gun went off it killed my brother. Put a hole in him as well as any other round would.

If you need to reach out at a distance to shoot someone...are you really in danger or are you just being an ignorant ass?

And you big bores ( :hmm3grin2orange: ): the 1911, or 45 is a useful as male tits. They went out decades ago in any serious use.

JMNSHO

You are so right. No body is using them over in the sand box these days. Oh, wait, that's right, they are.

Don't get me wrong, I carry a 1911 because it fits my hand well, and has always been the most pleasurable weapon for me to shoot. The fact that the 1911 is one of the simplest, most effective, and most coppied designs in the history of firearms, or has the longest track record is beside the point. :)

OK, now a completely different question. What do you gun toters do to enlighten society about gun safety?
For me, the scariest things I've encountered are people out target shooting, who think there is nobody about in the woods despite the evidence of work going on nearby. They then start target shooting with no back stop (illegal here) even shooting where a road was in their line. Are you actively promoting gun safety?

This problem was even worse in Arizona where the woods were flat. Idiots were firing away with no thought to where their bullets would go. This was what made me nervous. Imagine going to work in a free fire zone.

In some areas, we were not allowed to go out to work during hunting season, unless we worked in an open area. Do you identify what you are shooting at before pulling the trigger? Are you 100% sure of what you are about to shoot?

Do you help folks to learn the rules? Do you stop and talk to armed folks who are unsafe? I sure did.

Do you realize that you need a good backstop when target practicing? Scattered trees do not fit the bill. Do you even target shoot so you are fairly accurate? Or do you just hope you'll hit the bad man when you are frightened to death?

I will tell you that the idiots with guns who have them because "it is their right to carry" are a bigger threat to gun owners than anything else. You ought to be out promoting gun safety rather than insulting those of us who don't share the same views on packing a gun around with us.

That's it for me here.

I am an instructor at a firearms training acadamy. We teach our shooters 4 basic safety rules, the 4th of which is ALWAYS KNOW YOUR TARGET. We drill this point home and address it from the perspective that the shooter is 100% responsible for where that projectile comes to a stop at. Whether it's in the berm behind the target or the farmer out plowing his field on the property behind us, or deer that the hunter was shooting at or his buddy who was just over the hill behind the deer. Know your target. Know what's beyond your target. Know what it will take to stop the bullet that you are firing. That 100 lb deer probably won't stop that 12 ga Foster style slug.

We teach our shooters the fundamentals required to become a good shooter, and depending on which level of class we are teaching, once they can demonstrate that they are fundamentally good shooters (which is well above the average shooter from what I've seen) we teach them how to quickly and accuratly engauge multiple targets under high stress situations. This is not a bunch of beer drinking hillbillies running around on a farm. These men have fought and killed for their country. They instruct law enforcment officers at the local, state, and federal levels, from entry level deputies to state detectives, to memebers of various swat teams, to DEA and Spec Ops. They take the points you have raised very seriously as we all should.

I am an instructor at a firearms training acadamy. We teach our shooters 4 basic safety rules, the 4th of which is ALWAYS KNOW YOUR TARGET. We drill this point home and address it from the perspective that the shooter is 100% responsible for where that projectile comes to a stop at. Whether it's in the berm behind the target or the farmer out plowing his field on the property behind us, or deer that the hunter was shooting at or his buddy who was just over the hill behind the deer. Know your target. Know what's beyond your target. Know what it will take to stop the bullet that you are firing. That 100 lb deer probably won't stop that 12 ga Foster style slug.

We teach our shooters the fundamentals required to become a good shooter, and depending on which level of class we are teaching, once they can demonstrate that they are fundamentally good shooters (which is well above the average shooter from what I've seen) we teach them how to quickly and accuratly engauge multiple targets under high stress situations. This is not a bunch of beer drinking hillbillies running around on a farm. These men have fought and killed for their country. They instruct law enforcment officers at the local, state, and federal levels, from entry level deputies to state detectives, to members of various swat teams, to DEA and Spec Ops. They take the points you have raised very seriously as we all should.

At long last, a professional with the reason behind training and proper use of firearms. Thanks.

What is said here and used is the FIRST step in a long training to use a sidearm IN DANGER. Call it "survival", call it "rapid fire", or call it "using a sidearm to kill", it is all the same.

Worth repeating for you braggadoccio machitos con hubris about the size of your weapons: NO ONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO PROPERLY USE A FIREARM BOASTS OR EVEN LETS ON THAT THEY CARRY. Period. The analogy is martial arts skills: one never allows a situation to get out of control so that you have to use the skills. Another period.

Mil saying: " you don't want to die on that hill".

P.S. Slowp--our woods in the east are the same as your PNW, NOT dangerous. Except for the non-pro fellers.:D

JMNSHO

Worth repeating for you braggadoccio machitos con hubris about the size of your weapons: NO ONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO PROPERLY USE A FIREARM BOASTS OR EVEN LETS ON THAT THEY CARRY. Period. The analogy is martial arts skills: one never allows a situation to get out of control so that you have to use the skills. Another period.

From experience, I agree that essentially everybody who carries does not brag about it; however, the OP specifically requested information on it. Therefore, I don't see it as braggadocio. I will say that there are many who like to talk guns and have fun with it, and for the most part, I see nothing wrong with that. Heck, the AS Chainsaw Forum is probably 50% bragging/hyperbole (displacement beasts, orange vs. cream-sickle, cancer curing 361's, overweight/underpowered turd 290's, venerable Homies, incomparable Contras, monster Macs, etc.).

From experience, I agree that essentially everybody who carries does not brag about it; however, the OP specifically requested information on it. Therefore, I don't see it as braggadocio. I will say that there are many who like to talk guns and have fun with it, and for the most part, I see nothing wrong with that. Heck, the AS Chainsaw Forum is probably 50% bragging/hyperbole (displacement beasts, orange vs. cream-sickle, cancer curing 361's, overweight/underpowered turd 290's, venerable Homies, incomparable Contras, monster Macs, etc.).

People are just answering the question for the most part. I didn't really notice anyone bragging about it.

People are just answering the question for the most part. I didn't really notice anyone bragging about it.

Now we have the "...saws are like guns because............":tongue2:

If you don't see the " mine is bigger than yours" then you don't. :yoyo:

JMNSHO

There are no perfect analogies, but there are many ways that saws are like guns. I would contend that one would be biased against scary black guns if he were to deny such comparisons. Some people are around guns all the time, and to them, they're just another tool that has a proper function and proper way of using it. They respect them and don't fear them. Unload the last two sentences and the chainsaw comparisons will undoubtedly emerge.

Of course I see the "bigger-than-yours" arguments, but is that what's really going on here? IMO, it's very similar to the tall tales and chest thumping found with saw owners and fanboys in the chainsaw forum. That's part of the banter, part of the fun, and most of those folks don't take themselves too seriously. On the other hand (and with apologies to Freud) sometimes a gun is just a gun, and the owner is proud of the tool they use, modify, reload, and on which they hone their skills. My point is that what one calls bragging another might call pride, and some of it is just goofing around.

As far as size goes, there are sound reasons for owning and carrying a rifle or handgun capable of shooting a more powerful cartridge into the woods. Granted. not everyone has this need.

Last edited:
I don't mind a good discussion, but I think there are some that are borderline trolling. Am I wrong here?

Some people will never be convinced they need a firearm, or a seatbelt, or a fire extinguisher. At some point the discussion is a wasted effort.

logbutcher you’re so full of crap it almost makes me laugh.

I’ve been around firearms and shooting since I was born… My grandfather was a gun dealer who owned a General Store in a small town; he sold guns and sporting equipment back by the meat cutting block. I was listening to the shooters sitting around the coffee pot, talking guns before I myself could even talk. As a small boy I met the sales reps from companies like Browning, Remington, Winchester, Savage and Smith & Wesson… I ate supper a granddads table with exhibition shooters those companies hired and sent on the road during at that time. I was in my early teens before I realized that some people did not carry guns… I thought everybody did, or at least every man did. Growing up there was always a gun within arms reach, on dad’s belt, in the car… I was taught how to “properly” use them as soon as I was strong enough to pick them up. I had more trigger time by the age of 10-years than most cops have in a lifetime. I was carrying guns and hunting alone long before I turned 10-years. I was teaching people how to shoot before I had a driver’s license. Between my house and dads house there is over 500 guns (over 150 handguns) in dozens of chamberings; and I’ve handled, worked on or repaired and fired every single one of them. I reload all my own ammunition, make ammunition for guns chambered for obsolete cartridges, cast my own bullets, do a bit of gunsmithing, fabricate obsolete parts for old guns to get them shooting again, I’ve even designed my own wildcat cartridge. Owning guns, and the carrying of firearms, is just simply a way of life for me… I’ve just flat never known any other way.

I consider myself a PROFESSIONAL (and I don’t give a rats a$$ what you think I am); and in my PROFESSIONAL opinion, you have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about. Your comments remind me of the type of guy (probably owns one gun he inherited from his grandfather) who’s read a couple bogus magazine articles, pressed a trigger a couple dozen times, and then walks into the gun shop or hunting camp believing he’s an expert… The type of guy who can’t be taught… The type of guy real shootists laugh at when he leaves. The type of guy that claims the “.45” isn’t as accurate as the 9mm, because he has no clue that accuracy is a function of the gun and shooter… it has absolutely nothing to do with the cartridge. The type of guy that thinks you’re supposed to “squeeze” the trigger… an abomination that no true shootist would ever use for trigger control.

When you say, “NO ONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO PROPERLY USE A FIREARM BOASTS OR EVEN LETS ON THAT THEY CARRY. Period.” Well you’re just full of crap. Shooters talk guns all the time amongst themselves, they talk about what they carry and why they choose to carry it. They talk about ballistics, cartridge, firearms type, and argue in defense of their particular choices, it ain't "boasting" or "bragging". And if you think a concealed firearm is truly concealed, that nobody knows, you’re an idiot. I can look at someone and tell instantly if they’re armed, the way a belt stretches, the way a collar lays, the stretch marks on a shirt… much like a wallet “prints” on the back pocket of your jeans, the carrying of a gun does the same. If you know what you’re looking for it’s more than obvious, and we nod at each other in passing. Concealed carry is only necessary because of local laws by-the-way. My state does not issue “Concealed Carry Permits”, it issues “Permits To Carry Weapons”… it is perfectly legal for me to walk down Main Street with a revolver strapped to my hip and carrying a loaded shotgun or rifle (or any other weapon, or weapon type, I can otherwise legally own). Firearms are carried openly, in several states, by many people “… WHO KNOW HOW TO PROPERLY USE A FIREARM… Period.” Your stupid ideas come from local laws and magazine articles… you’re an idiot on this subject “PERIOD”

I grew up with guns too. Being a close relative was a dealer and had a store we often shot cases of reloaded rounds...cases of shot shells. I shot league trap for many years too on the off season of hunting.I'm no Tom Knapp ,but I can hold my own.

To tell y'all the truth I can not believe this thread.
Gun ownership is a choice and to carry is one also. It just so happens to be one of our rights as per the constitution.

This thread reminds me of PETA...they do not want you to hurt animals by skillfully placing a kill shot for a quick death of that animal that will be used to feed yourself. They would just rather it die a slow agonizing death from over population and disease.
I've got 1 thing to say...I'm a predator...my eyes are not on the side of my head..and I refuse to be reduced from the cycle of life.

When it comes to gun safety...it doesn't get much more simpler than this.
Never point your gun at something unless you plan on pulling the trigger...and once that gun touches off there's no taking back the round.

Pistols are penus extenders. Pure and simple.
You know I wasn't going to respond to your comment but the more I thought about it I couldn't let it go unanswered.

My father fought in WW11. He was in Patton's 3rd Army. He came to the rescue of Bastogne in a Sherman tank. This incredible sacrifice was for idiots like you!! He carried a 1911 Colt .45 and used it more than once. He was also responsible for the .50 cal on the turret and killed many Germans in there battle across France and Germany. He's now 89 yrs old. Rebuilds some of the finest Gravely tractors in the country, gets his own pallets to burn in his Allnighter wood stove, and fixes all his own small equipment and most everybodys elses that knows him in this town. He owns some fine trophies taken from the field of battle. Lugers, Wathers, even SS Daggers. So these are penus extenders. You're a moron!

You know I wasn't going to respond to your comment but the more I thought about it I couldn't let it go unanswered.

My father fought in WW11. He was in Patton's 3rd Army. He came to the rescue of Bastogne in a Sherman tank. This incredible sacrifice was for idiots like you!! He carried a 1911 Colt .45 and used it more than once. He was also responsible for the .50 cal on the turret and killed many Germans in there battle across France and Germany. He's now 89 yrs old. Rebuilds some of the finest Gravely tractors in the country, gets his own pallets to burn in his Allnighter wood stove, and fixes all his own small equipment and most everybodys elses that knows him in this town. He owns some fine trophies taken from the field of battle. Lugers, Wathers, even SS Daggers. So these are penus extenders. You're a moron!

More likely Finn is jealous of those of us that can carry concealed. He resides in one of the few states that does not allow their citizens to carry concealed.

I sometimes carry a .44 mag super blackhawk, and I sometimes carry it conceled!...I must have a little pickle:msp_scared:

Back