cedar haul of the day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adkpk

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
These are the logs I got for myself today. Leaving for the weekend sorry no replies from me until Monday. Going to use this stuff for siding on my cabin. it's from fresh live trees so I won't be slabbing for a while. But it just looks so nice up there in the back of my truck, had to share.

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

I love the smell of cedar when milling, and when working it in the shop. The whole house smells of cedar. And it keeps coming back... when I run a lot of cedar through my machines thus putting a lot of cedar sawdust in the dust collector, for a while after that when I fire up that dust collector, I get that cedar smell.

O.K. I'm back! Got ya on the smell thing, woodshop. Man my truck is reeking in cedar aroma.
I threw a couple of chunks in my car before heading upstate this weekend, smelled up the car real nice all weekend.

Aggie nice chest. What is that light color around the dovetails?

Last edited:
Aggie you do nice stuff... I love those compound dovetails. Cedar sells at shows. I make this little cracker holder (hey don't laugh, I sold $700 worth of them at last show) that holds a pack of Ritz or Saltines for the ladies (or men?) to serve with their cheese... I make them out of oak, cherry, walnut, ash etc... but the ones I make out of redcedar sell two to one over the rest. Guess the unique variations between the red and white, the marbled look sells them. Hey... if you don't make what the customer wants, you go home with lots of inventory, simple as that.
crackerbig.jpg

Nice load Adrpk.....what kind of cedar is that? It doesn't have the red heartwood I'm used to seeing from the Eastern Red Cedar that grows in abundance around here.

From the description of it, it smells much like the Eastern Red.

Very nice cedar chest Aggie, beautiful workmanship.

edited for spelling error

American arbovitae. ddhlake

By the way I am going to use it for siding on my cabin. Wish I had a band saw for this one. The thought of most of that wood becoming sawdust is disheartening.

(woodshop thanks for the dovetail hint):dizzy:

Nice saltine dish. How about a matching cutting board?

Adrpk said:
Nice saltine dish. How about a matching cutting board?
So happens I do... I make a small 6 inch wide cutting board I sell right along side the cracker holder. I keep prices low ($7 for the holder, $6 for the cutting board) and thus sell a lot of them. Only problem is about half the ladies just want the cracker holder w/o the cutting board. Then some (a lot fewer though) just buy the cutting board. That means trying to keep enough inventory during a show so the people that want a matching set have enough to choose from is tricky. By the end of the show I have like 18 cedar cracker holders left and 16 cherry cutting boards... no matching sets. sheeeesh... whats a woodworker to DO? Nature of the beast. Hey, people are getting blown up in Iraq and dying of diseases by the thousands in Africa... I'm not complaining about anything here.

Adrpk said:
O.K. I'm back! Got ya on the smell thing, woodshop. Man my truck is reeking in cedar aroma.
I threw a couple of chunks in my car before heading upstate this weekend, smelled up the car real nice all weekend.

Aggie nice chest. What is that light color around the dovetails?

Those are dovetailed keys, kinda of a shortcut to true dovetails but nearly as a strong. The woods are maple and purpleheart.

Thanks for the comments, folks.

Last edited:
Back