Cedar tree advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarolar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What could be wrong with this cedar tree I'm planning on cleaning up this outer edge of the yard and if this tree is on the way out I'm just going to take it down too. There is another tree just a few yards away that is healthy so I don't fee like it's a water or soil issue.

46e06f96bc439700d7e95881171a533e.jpg

8a0abe969d30ea9831633c1bbf79877c.jpg
a20d379bee419aa3e9a0cb7c4fdf0561.jpg

The other healthy tree.
b88b375b3b013d16d31f383817dc935d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Uhm...is that a farm field in the foreground? Herbicide application? General and broadleaf herbicides can do a number on trees.

Seeing some other dead growth around the dying tree. Odd that the other tree looks great.

I would need to see many more closer pics, particularly the the base and trunks to point you in a better direction.

Uhm...is that a farm field in the foreground? Herbicide application? General and broadleaf herbicides can do a number on trees.

Seeing some other dead growth around the dying tree. Odd that the other tree looks great.

I would need to see many more closer pics, particularly the the base and trunks to point you in a better direction.
Nay that's my front yard, I can get you some more pics I was fully expecting some requests for that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

From the look of it, a combined water/soil issue. If you had a drought the year before you notice the damage, that's a good explanation. Some types of soil (for example those with high sand content) dry far quicker and more throughly than others, and I've learned the hard way soil composition may change enough to cause these problems in less than a hundred yards.

However a closed look to rule out pests which may jump to other trees cannot hurt...

Cedar drinks a lot of water. As mentioned, it could be a drought issue. Also, with so many branches, it'll suck up maximum water. A well pruned cedar will require less water, but at this point, it looks like a goner. Best to remove it and then prune the healthy one next to it.

Back