Cell Phone Carrying...Where?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my "in the pocket" story. It was during my unfortunate time of trying to be an engineer. I worked for a woman who was one of those people who are constantly on their cell phone so we had to have them too. They did work in some areas and were lighter than carrying a radio. But, it was on the Oregon Coast. Field work for engineering was done in the winter when the leaves were off the brush and you could see farther than 4 feet. I had a road profile to do. There was one of those comma storms on the way but I figured I had time to go do what I needed. The area was known as Misery Ridge and it fit the name perfectly. It was an hour hike in for me. I carried the phone in a urethane phone carrier in the front pocket of my cruiser vest. The rest of me was in rain gear as the horizontal rain was going full force. I finished my work as planned and started hiking out. Started feeling a weird zapping on my side. Finally figured it out. Because I did not and do not have a logical engineer mind, my remedy was to hit the phone on one of the many blowdown logs along the way out. This stopped the zapping, for a while and then I'd hit it again. The urethane thing had filled up with water and I guess the phone was shorting out. Finally, I hit the phone hard enough that the batteries flew out. Then it occurred to me to remove the batteries. Got out of the woods before the wind started too hard and made it back to the office. I thought the phone was done for and was expecting yet another chewing out. I dried it and, it worked again. But I have not wanted to carry one around much since. I am afraid of smashing it...I tend to kill watches so quit buying them. Duct tape does seem the best answer but a little hard to answer the phone. I don't like the idea of having a phone around all the time but kind of have to for a while to keep the moneypit project going....Thanks! :clap:

carry mine in the left front pocket of my jeans...tried the holster/belt hook thingamiger...POS IMHO. I tried to tell mom to get the insurance when she switched over to the family phone plan (only reason i have the thing)...she never got it...

I have a white spot on the front LCD screen from when a silage wagon tire blew up. Long story condensed-front and back left side wagon axles broke, full of corn silage, wagon half cocked on its side, front broken "axle" resting on still inflated tire...tire goes boom sending gravel everywheres, i duck and cover my head while in the tractor seat, but some how phone takes the hit....a few beautifully spoken french slang words expressed

Dairy farmer?

BTW Hank Jr's "A Country Boy Can Survive" is my fav song for YEARS. Also my ringtone.

im with uscelluar--in their store--they have a nylon belt phone holder--it had a clip--and a belt loop--i carefully cut off the clip--and string the leather belt thru the loop --and where the phone goes in--a velcro closure---the other types ive had damn near lost the phone three times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aint no way its coming out of this one--about 20 clams--its way rugged---and then i got a bluetooth--some of you may laugh--its the besty thing i ever did--hands free is the nuts!!!!!!!!

Dairy farmer?

BTW Hank Jr's "A Country Boy Can Survive" is my fav song for YEARS. Also my ringtone.

Well....thats the plan. I'm 16 years old. when i get in college Im planning to take dairy mangment, dairy nutrition and science as my major/s or what ever the dang things are called and thinking on maybe minor in forestry...not sure it would work out at all-just want some knowlege in that field....might think of doing something in that area if worst comes to worst.

I decided i wanted to take over the 6 generation family dairy farm, b/c of some situations at the begining of this school year...long story-no need to tell-school counslers related. After college i want to take a year or two, to go out west and get my eyes full of the landscape and go elk hunting.

nuff ramblin for now...got ideas for my future but i know i will end up back here on the home farm for the rest of my life...this is my life

Use to carry mine in my front jean pocket. I was cutting firewood one day and loading big rounds into the truck using the front part of my leg and hip to load the wood. Went to use my phone later in the day and had found I crushed the screen. Had a big dark spot in the middle. I now usually leave my in the glove box of my Rhino or put it the front pocket of my Carhartt Bibs.

Well....thats the plan. I'm 16 years old. when i get in college Im planning to take dairy mangment, dairy nutrition and science as my major/s or what ever the dang things are called and thinking on maybe minor in forestry...not sure it would work out at all-just want some knowlege in that field....might think of doing something in that area if worst comes to worst.

I decided i wanted to take over the 6 generation family dairy farm, b/c of some situations at the begining of this school year...long story-no need to tell-school counslers related. After college i want to take a year or two, to go out west and get my eyes full of the landscape and go elk hunting.

nuff ramblin for now...got ideas for my future but i know i will end up back here on the home farm for the rest of my life...this is my life

Good on ya kid!! Most guys your age have no dreams for the future. Make plans, dream big, and NEVER quit reaching for the stars.

well i guess farmin is bout all i know....except cuttin firewood, but that aint gonna pay the bills.

yea most kids my age havent even started to think about their future yet...a couple of my friends have, but not being mean to them but they got aways to go for what they want to do....as eveyone does

Use to carry mine in my front jean pocket. I was cutting firewood one day and loading big rounds into the truck using the front part of my leg and hip to load the wood. Went to use my phone later in the day and had found I crushed the screen. Had a big dark spot in the middle. I now usually leave my in the glove box of my Rhino or put it the front pocket of my Carhartt Bibs.

Yup. That's what I figured for the front pocket, and also maybe melting it while chunking the burning pile. So I switched it to the back pocket, but then worry about smashing it there if I forgot or had to butt slide down a road cutbank. Snce I don't plan to wear it out in the deep woods, but only around the moneypit, think I'll make a necklace out of it. A friend who was along when I bought the thing and who knows me well said I needed to strap it around my neck so I wouldn't lose or break it. It can be tucked inside a shirt. Once one is out of the valley, the phones are pretty worthless except the Razors seem to work here and there.

Hey Goatchin! If you take up Forestry, be sure to read our comments on new foresters in the Scary Times thread. We can give you advice on how not to be after you graduate...if you take up Forestry. Isn't it called "Natural Resources" most everywhere now? :) :cheers:

I had one of those clips you put on your belt to hold your cell phone. Needless to say, while chipping a branch, I dislodged it and it when through the chipper.. Now i more or less hang my flip phone on my inside t-shirt, (I wear 2, its cold up here)

slowp-yea from what i hear from my sister whos in college right now, its called Natural resources or NRCS. she friends w/ a couple guys that are in it.....and of the ones i have seen/met, a couple are crazy SOB's in both good and bad ways

I used to put mine in a velcro holster on my belt. I had verizon service. Don't know why , but more than 50% of the time when I would unlatch the magnetic top and flip up and answer I would lose the call. Finally decided to just put phone in front pocket, usually leave it on vibrate. I dont put coins or other metal in with it. Seems to work good now. Not near as many dropped calls either. Stays a lot cleaner. You would have to be careful like that one post about carrying something heavy and resting it against your hip. Whatever works for you!:)

Latest posts

Back