Central Boiler Leaks, Looking for advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjlrrw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Central Boiler 4436, Last winter I had my first leak it was leaking inside the fire box on the right hand side (looking in to the firebox)

Called my dealer and they said (based on my measurements of the location) sounds like a bad weld on the pin that supports the inside panel to the outside panel and it will be covered under warranty.

The welder arrived and placed a 2” x 2” patch over the hole, the location of the leak was close to the support pin weld but the leak was not a cause of a faulty factory weld. They covered it anyways.

About 45 days later another leak same side, only further back. I called the welder and he told me it would not be covered and the cost to have him put another patch would be $400. I realized I had a bigger problem and not willing to throw $400 at it so I used my Lincoln 110V welder and filled in the hole, it took a couple tries but got it sealed up. Last week my third leak, about 1” from the patch the welder installed (first leak) again I used my welded and sealed it up.

All the leaks are coming from the inside out, water side working toward the firebox. I checked with my dealer and here are my options… CB will give $1700 trade in on a new stove, I can send it back and have the fire box replace $3300 (I don’t know if this includes shipping) or there is a local guy that has been replacing fire boxes $1600 - $1800.

A question for anyone that has had leaking issues caused from rot.
Where were they located?

I am starting to wonder if the discharge of the return water is accelerating the issue, if this makes since I may see about having two larger patches (8” x 8”) added one for each water return area. Maybe I can get another numbers of years out of it.

Your thoughts are welcome.

I do not want to start a debate on whose stove, service, warranty etc. is the worst or best just looking for input on my options and idea of why my stove is rotting is the area it is.
Thanks!

I was told that if you do not have them grounded with a ground rod at the furnace it would cause that to happen?

How does your water test? I've had to add about 1/3 gal. of corrosion inhibitor per year with my 5036 to keep it up to snuff.

I was told that if you do not have them grounded with a ground rod at the furnace it would cause that to happen?

I see that a ground rod is required on the online instructions, I don't remember that being in the original instructions I will need to check them tonight.

How does your water test? I've had to add about 1/3 gal. of corrosion inhibitor per year with my 5036 to keep it up to snuff.

I didn't check the levels on a regular basic I did drain the water every two years flush the best I could fill with soften water and add new inhibitor.

Our water is hard and even after going through a softer a water heater tank would only last 5 years.

Do you have a test kit? Or had the dealer test the water?

I try to test mine twice a year. No need to change the water as long as you keep on top of the ph level.

Have you been testing the water? Thats the key to getting the unit to last. Between that and ashtrol I hardly see how they could wear out.

anode

whatever way you go i would put some kind of anode in the water jacket.i have been lucky ,38 years and no bad welds or leaks.if you could line it with 316 ss sheet metal.(1/16 thick).it might get you a few years?k

Have you been testing the water? Thats the key to getting the unit to last. Between that and ashtrol I hardly see how they could wear out.

maybe not testing enough... after draining, flushing and filling every two years I tested after firing it back up in the fall, didn't really test it much between fillings maybe one or twice the first year then once tops a year after if that.

I have googled leaking central boilers and read many issues, some where the water levels were "allegedly" maintained all the time to others that never check or changed the water. There was some talk about CB using an inferior metal in 2003/04.

I feel our water or my lack of maintaining it had something to do with the rotting metal, I was just trying to find out if others are having issues with holes starting in the same area. If they are I feel the water being pumped back into the stove may be speeding up the process in that area.

Back