Central Va. GTG 2013

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ernie hosted a most excellent GTG. It is obvious that Ernie, Sawmandave, and Erine's other friends and family put a huge amount of effort into this GTG. The location was about perfect and the set up with tons of wood made the sawing safe for everyone. The food was incerdible, it alone would be more than worth the drive. A huge thanks to Erine's family for the food. A thank you is also in order for Henry and Randy for the raffle prizes. It was great to reconnect with folks from last year's GTG and to meet new friends. This GTG was better than last year's and it probably won't be long before these GTG's will be refered to as " The world Famous Central Virginia GTG".
You are awsome , THANKS ALOT , it was realy great to see you.

david

Tom is not a midget, but he does drive a Subaru. He also gave Randy another puzzle in a box.

Yeah... from what I saw those will be another good mind boggler...

My camera sat in my chair all day. Seems like I spent most of my time putting on and taking off bars and chains.

I did the same thing. I got 4-5 pics on my phone but kept forgetting to walk to the truck to get my camera. That speaks worlds for the amount of fun that was had.

What an AWESOME time I had today! This was my first GTG, but it sure won't be my last. What a great bunch of guys. Thanks to Ernie and all those who worked so hard to make it an outstanding event.

Cuda J.

Can't thank Ernie enough! Also my first GTG and can't wait for another. Good times and a great group of people. Awesome food.. Words just can't describe it.

The ole Dodge got me back home though it has a bad shimmy around 90mph....... Don't know if that is the low gears fightin back or the truck screaming for mercy??

Will get some pictures uploaded shortly.

I think the shimmy was the heck of a load of saws you had! Some neat old mag in that truck.

I'm Home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a great GTG.

Ernie, you are the man my friend. :bowdown:

Ohh you did make it home... anyone hear the story yet of when John pointed out to Randy that they had to drive all the way through on the way home as they had picked up too many projects at the GTG to carry into the hotel room. They both had that deer in the headlight look!

That was the best one yet. Awesome vittles and Ernies saw mill was something else for a city slicker like myself. I can't believe I screwed up my remodel time table at home and had to leave a little early. I really appreciated all of the help from the usual suspects on some saw issues giving me fits. I'd also like to give a shout out thanks to new to me member Henry "Weedeaterman" who really went out of his way to help me finally sort out the nagging fuel delivery issue on my SOLO 642 106cc. I am going to bring make wife down to that neck of the woods for Halifax Co. Heritage Day in May and Field Day in September. We both want to relocate when I leave my job and can't stand Maryland any longer.

This GTG was great for me. Normally when we go the a GTG racing is the big thing and stopwatches are everywhere. This was a welcome change and I really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere. I never saw a stopwatch nor any square wood and I had a blast. :clap:

Watching the two man saws chew through a log was a treat......I had never seen those in action before. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Jon has to have one for his growing collection of Mag saws. :rock:

I can see the Central VA GTG becoming a "must attend" event for Jon and myself. Ernie has a very nice setup and is a fine host. The vittles alone were worth the drive. :bowdown:

I also want to say a huge thanks to Showrguy (Chuck) and his lovely wife for hauling that mill to VA and meeting us there with it. It really means a lot that you guys went out of your way to do that for us.

I can't begin to express what a great friend Tom (thomas1) is. What a great guy......He brought a truckload of saws and parts to swap/trade/barter/? and just said "take all this stuff we'll work something out". Over the last year I bet Tom has given us 10 saws and who knows how many parts. We have his Remington 990 Super here now and will be doing the works on it including a fresh coat of powder.......with any luck is will look like a new saw when he gets in back.

Thanks for the pie Gary. :msp_wink:

Ohh yeah .. those box o' saws.. John filled me in that you love those.. as you won't touch them!

53882c04a9708c1189d7dd4968a6f7c9_zpsa63bd194.jpg

3e09319e5b3bb88f3dc1b25d570e08d8_zpsb1b47290.jpg

That's me (in the red flannel) and my dad just to my right. We were running a Mastermind 562 at that point. Had just finished with that ported Echo twin behind us on that log. Both fine running saws.

Last edited:
I just wanted to post up to thank Ernie and everyone the helped make this whole GTG the success it was. It was my first GTG and surely won't be my last! I did makes some observations:

-If you thought that chain was sharp when you put the saw away, you better check it before you head out!
-If you tell a person to be careful and not to rock your chain, you are fixing to rock a chain.
-If Sawmandave is walking around with a saw.. watch out as the chips are fixing to fly!
-If Sawmandave gets a grin on his face and he's standing near the but of log, watch out a noodle shower is coming on.
-Echo twins with fresh square chain don't run good, ported or not, when you forget to fill them up with fuel.
-If you crank a two man saw, Igpoe will come running.

I'm sure there are more that will come to me later but many good memories. Thanks to all.. too many new faces to learn..but it doesn't matter!

This GTG was great for me. Normally when we go the a GTG racing is the big thing and stopwatches are everywhere. This was a welcome change and I really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere. I never saw a stopwatch nor any square wood and I had a blast. :clap:

Watching the two man saws chew through a log was a treat......I had never seen those in action before. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before Jon has to have one for his growing collection of Mag saws. :rock:

I can see the Central VA GTG becoming a "must attend" event for Jon and myself. Ernie has a very nice setup and is a fine host. The vittles alone were worth the drive. :bowdown:

I also want to say a huge thanks to Showrguy (Chuck) and his lovely wife for hauling that mill to VA and meeting us there with it. It really means a lot that you guys went out of your way to do that for us.

I can't begin to express what a great friend Tom (thomas1) is. What a great guy......He brought a truckload of saws and parts to swap/trade/barter/? and just said "take all this stuff we'll work something out". Over the last year I bet Tom has given us 10 saws and who knows how many parts. We have his Remington 990 Super here now and will be doing the works on it including a fresh coat of powder.......with any luck is will look like a new saw when he gets in back.

Thanks for the pie Gary. :msp_wink:
Randy , thanks for comming . Thanks for letting me run the 365 husky , that saw is crazy fast:msp_w00t:
As for the square wood , ernie had alot of trouble with the mill up untill fri. afternoon , and it would not saw strait !!:msp_sad:
We did not have time to saw out 10x10 wood , but glad you enjoyed the event .:msp_biggrin:
dave

[video=youtube;2BOi61vHErI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BOi61vHErI&list=UUg2yelCeKwB12xIohZfmf1g&index=1[/video]

[video=youtube_share;SQWArLd4Z8g]http://youtu.be/SQWArLd4Z8g[/video]

Noy sure of the model, or vintage, but here is a nice Stihl 2-man in action

Randy , thanks for comming . Thanks for letting me run the 365 husky , that saw is crazy fast:msp_w00t:
As for the square wood , ernie had alot of trouble with the mill up untill fri. afternoon , and it would not saw strait !!:msp_sad:
We did not have time to saw out 10x10 wood , but glad you enjoyed the event .:msp_biggrin:
dave

I'm glad you liked that saw. It was just an old 365 with an aftermarket top end. :msp_wink:

-If Sawmandave gets a grin on his face and he's standing near the but of log, watch out a noodle shower is coming on.

Been on the receiving end of one of those, good times...lol

Also, if you are sawing directly across from Dave, BEWARE Of The UPCUT....Chip shower!!!! All in good fun, especially if you reciprocate....LOL

Last edited:
Wanted to say THANK YOU to Ernie and his family for hosting the event... it was one to remember for sure! Seems every year just keeps getting better and because of guys like Dave and the hard work that went into the planning and help with the set-up and I'm sure tear down as well. These two people went above and beyond... Thank you both! Ernie, thank your wife and Mom? as well, they had a smile all day!

I'll say one thing for sure... I always knew I liked Randy and am proud to call him my friend, same goes for Tom... meeting you guys for the first time made me realize were just brothers when it comes right down to it... really. Call on me anytime for anything!

Nice to see everyone from last year as well, wouldn't have been the same without you. I've got some pictures to put up when I get a chance, probably tomorrow.

Back