Ceramic Bearings?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bwalker
ShoerFast

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Morrison Colorado, at the base of the Rockies
Hey ben When have you ever done this and with what bearings. How about some video with that. The reason I am saying this is because you are talking about something you nothing about. Here is a couple of pictures that I just took to show every one what I am talking about.

I just put a ball out of a 088 bearing (new) and a ceramic bearing of the same size on a quality anvil (Peter Wright) and smacked them with a 2 # hammer. The 088 ball was hit 1 time and it split in half. The silicon nitride bearing was hit twice and all it did is dent the anvil. The 088 ball did dent the hammer but not the anvil and it broke.

notice the 3 dents in the 2# hammer and the broken steel bearings.
saws_1887.jpg

notice dent lower right corner from the silicon nitride ball in the anvil when it was struck. ( the 088 ball did not leave a dent)
saws_1886.jpg

Thanks for the demo Dean. Now go to your room for doing that to a Peter Wright anvil, your on time-out for that one!

And you can come out when you realize that Benny dose not need to know anything about something to spout off, he proved this time and time again.

:cheers:

aggiewoodbutchr

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
ShoerFast

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Aggie

And, that's all he got!

It's really comical, the last time I called him on something, his hope was that I got kicked by a horse! Well I never did, and what have I seen, 200 - 300 since then, and mules!

Well I had my fingers crossed when I read it, and held a mirror up to the post, he best watch his step if he is a student of Karma!:jester:

:ices_rofl:

Last edited:
Al Smith

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't doodley about the bearing but a comment on the test.Why in the world did you dent a Peter Wright anvil.?Those things are almost collectors items.Laminated,steel top,iron bottom,most likely the best anvils ever made.
Beat on those bearings on a piece of railroad iron or something.;)

bwalker
It doesn't??? One of the points in this thread has been increased longevity compared to steel. I did you just ignore that?

BTW- Your shotgun debate tactics are wearing thin.
Longetivity isnt a point of contention when it applies to this thread. Although the Helsels might take acception to that claim as well.

Tzed250

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't doodley about the bearing but a comment on the test.Why in the world did you dent a Peter Wright anvil.?Those things are almost collectors items.Laminated,steel top,iron bottom,most likely the best anvils ever made.

So the Peter Wright is the Stihl of anvils?:D

klickitatsacket

klickitatsacket

Addicted to ArboristSite
Winlock, Wa. under the shadow of Mt. St. Helens

Because I did not think that it was going to dent it. I cringed. Do you know how long I looked for one before this one popped up?
any how let's go back to this statement:
When ceramics fail they tend to do so in a spectacular way.
Yake a ceramic ball and a stell ball and strike both with a hammer...The ceramic ball is crushed and the stell ball might be deformed a bit. But Cermic is harder....

Last edited:
RiverRat2

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
BRAAAAAhahahahahah!!!!

Thanks for the demo Dean. Now go to your room for doing that to a Peter Wright anvil, your on time-out for that one!

And you can come out when you realize that Benny dose not need to know anything about something to spout off, he proved this time and time again.

:cheers:

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Tried to Rep you Shoerfast but u know :bang: :bang: :bang:

Thats funny ****!!!! LOLOL

Al Smith

Al Smith

Addicted to ArboristSite
So the Peter Wright is the Stihl of anvils?:D
Were er,depends on how you look at Stihl,I suppose. Shall we say that Peter Wright is the Wilton of anvils,the Rolls -Royce,The Creme de la creme .

Poor Dean,he is catching more flack from the anvil than from the bearings.
Well,**** happens,I'm sure he didn't intend on denting the anvil.Putting things in context it would be easier to find a cheap 090 Stihl than a cheap Peter Wright anvil.

In regard to ceramics regarding hardness,I have some ceramic inserts for metal cutting that will cut with ease hard steel that carbide won't even touch.The jury is still out on weather it's good option for a bearing.I'm just sitting on the side lines listening ,minding my own business,which is unusual for me.To be truthful though,I really don't know.

ShoerFast

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Are you saying Ceramics are not more brittle than bearing steel?

Your out of your league.

There is a place real close to here that will armor your Humvee for you with ceramics: http://www.coorstek.com/products/ceramic-armor.asp

R/C users have been using them for years: http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.a...advanced&OVADID=1721778022&OVKWID=15020360522

Aviation has found there use: http://www.reali-slim.com/products.php

Planing a trip into outer space?:

http://www.orbireport.com/News2001-04.html

attachment.php

aggiewoodbutchr

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Longetivity isnt a point of contention when it applies to this thread. Although the Helsels might take acception to that claim as well.

:ices_rofl: If you say so.

You still hadn't answered my question.

Did you miss this?

Just what were you trying to prove with this link?

Just so there's no confusion, I have read it and have drawn my own conclusions. The question was what are you trying to prove with it.

Last edited:

Latest posts