Chain Angles for Smooth Crosscut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kicker_92

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We've had lots of posts on here discussing chain grind angles for ripping, and the chainsaw section has great info on chain setup for fast crosscutting, but what about when you need a smooth crosscut finish?

For example, trimming a beam to length with a mini-mill attachment. What chainsetup would work best to minimize tearout and give a smooth finish?

Do woodcarvers use a differant chain setup?

We've had lots of posts on here discussing chain grind angles for ripping, and the chainsaw section has great info on chain setup for fast crosscutting, but what about when you need a smooth crosscut finish?

For example, trimming a beam to length with a mini-mill attachment. What chainsetup would work best to minimize tearout and give a smooth finish?

Do woodcarvers use a different chain setup?

Kicker,

I used my mini-mill/milling chain for making the end cuts on the bench I just built. I have my milling chain angle at about 10* and I run the saw through the wood end slow while keeping the saw's rpm high. Now, I will say that the majority of the logs that I have end cut using milling chain have all been hardwoods. I'm guessing that you are cutting pine logs for cabins?

jerry-

You might be able to see how smooth the ends are on this bench. It needed very little sanding. That's a horseshoe on the end.

attachment.php

Cross cut I feel its the rakers that leave the marks. Cut them down a little further than you normally would.

That would make sense to stay with the 10" chain angle, should limit the amount that the cutters walk to each side to make the kerf.

Regarding the rakers, do you meak to set them lower for a more aggresive bite, or shallower so it just makes fine chips?

And yes this is softwood, so it tears out easily.

That would make sense to stay with the 10" chain angle, should limit the amount that the cutters walk to each side to make the kerf.

Regarding the rakers, do you meak to set them lower for a more aggresive bite, or shallower so it just makes fine chips?

And yes this is softwood, so it tears out easily.

I feel like the rakers is what leaves the marks and a little more aggressive leaves less marks. There fore smoother.

Back