Chain/bar problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thomasinvancouver! Storage what term? HarleyT. Thanks for the video. I've been away from home mostly today. I'll try to get a pic of the needle bearing posted tomorro . Thx!

I try to remember to give it 2-3 turns at the end of every work day. If you’re using it every day it probably doesn’t matter too much since you’re going to be adjusting it again anyway. If it’s just intermittent use the chain tightening when it cools down will give the bearings some significant side load. I take the bar and chain off if it will be sitting for any amount of time. I’m not sure how much it matters in real life, but it makes me feel better. Just like having two filters so I can swap a clean one in when I’m thinking about it. Treat the machine right and it will pay dividends.

Wow it sure does look like you ran it without a rim and if those needle bearings fell out like that... well yikes!
What the video shown you will see the part that you are missing

When it 'ran fine' yesterday for two hours cutting, I am guessing the drum splines 'were the sprocket'. Drum: salvageable, chain: likely, rim sprocket that's disintegrated definitely needs replacing. If your chain is .325 it needs a .325x7 sprocket. If your chain is 3/8 it needs a 3/8x7 sprocket. Depending on what year the ms260 is, it could be either a 'micro' spline size (17mm) or a regular small size (19mm). You can measure the drum spline diameter to be sure.

There is some movement when I wriggle the rim gear

Attachments

• 15639152258257169290312565313346.jpg
    15639152258257169290312565313346.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
Replaced just the needle bearing, runs once again like a dream. You guys are great and so knowledgable. I'm always looking to fix my stuff myself but without outside help it can be tough. Thanks again?

Latest posts

Back