chain/bar recommendation to setup chain saw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumpfield

Reaction score
Newbie here... I have a Stihl 084 that I would like to put it to use. I got a few logs about 36" diameter. I want to setup the 084 to rip some slabs to feed my woodworking hobby. What do you recommend to get for setting up a chain saw mill? The saw currently has a 30" bar. I need at least a 42" bar and the right type of chain for this job. Thanks in advance for you help.

Well, unfortunately, the 084 uses the big mount bars (BS), so the only 42" that they list at Bailey's is the 41" Woodsman Pro at $149. I've got the 066 with the SS mount, so I got the Oregon Power Match for $75. The Cannon 41" lists for $162 in the big Stihl mount. You may want to check GB, Oregon appears to stop at a 36" for the big Stihl mount bars.

The bar issue was one of the things that drove me to a Husky 3120. I was able to adapt my Stihl bars with an adapter by Cannon and some grinding work.

Mark

might want to check out my bar/chain prices in the other sponsors section, i listed prices for 18" to 84" bars.

stumpfield said:
Newbie here... I have a Stihl 084 that I would like to put it to use. I got a few logs about 36" diameter. I want to setup the 084 to rip some slabs to feed my woodworking hobby. What do you recommend to get for setting up a chain saw mill? The saw currently has a 30" bar. I need at least a 42" bar and the right type of chain for this job. Thanks in advance for you help.

If you want the ultimate in bar and chain, my choice for the 084 would be a Cannon Superbar in and around the 42" you mentioned, Available in .325", .375" or .404" pitch single rivet sprocket noses, go for a smaller pitch if you can get it to fit the saw, this will speed things up no end.

For a chain I would normally use a standard chain and take off every second top chisel leaving the side clearance behind, then when you sharpen the chain each time, slowly change the pitch until you have about 10 degrees
rake, this will save you money, if money is no object then buy a ready made ripping chain, check out what types of timber you will be cutting and buy the type best suited for the job, skip, semi full rip, hardwood softwood etc etc.

I can recommend the GB titanium bars. I use them and their value is hard to beat. Not a commercial- just a satisfied user.

Stumpfield - I just sent you an e-mail.

Stihl also makes 41" bar. You may wish to choose the type with sprocket nose for milling.

Sprocket nose is better than hard nose, but I preferr a roller nose. It reduces drag simiar to a sprocket but you can change chain pitch w/o the changing bars or tip.

roller nose dealer?

where are u getting roller nose bars? i'm sold on the idea...less friction, no need to change sprockets to match gauge, sounds great to me! GB is now owned by Stens and i have been refered to a dealer in my area, but i don't think he knows what he is doing as he can't find what i want. thanks! -nick

Latest posts

Back