Chain brake - helpful or hinderance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very important on cleanup saws

When I am moving around with a chain saw cleaning up fallen limbs,
I like them, you can slap them on/off as needed and don't have
to worry about tripping & falling on a moving chain until you are set.

On a larger saw, falling & bucking, I don't feel the need; just don't
stick the top part of nose where it doesn't belong.

I have a Poulan S-25 that doesn't have one, I installed a
Granberg cut-n-trim attachment on it so was I was not tempted
to use it for that work, almost tripped and fell on it last year cleaning
up fallen limbs, probably not best use for a top handle saw.

i wouldnt want one without a break
its nice piece of mind to be able to put the break on when walking through brush, i have fallen over a bunch of times with my saw in my hands, and the chain break is always on thank god.
i also put my seatbelt on every time before the end of my neighborhood, if not before backing out of my driveway.
too many lives lost that could have been saved by a simple arm motion that saves 2 seconds. plus my truck beeps like a maniac if i dont, wen im driving around the woods i just plug it in and leave it behind me,, shhh :greenchainsaw:

saws without chain brakes for tree companies are next to useless. i wouldnt use one walking down a hill side or using a saw without a brake up in a tree. ive seen the throttle stick wide open a few times especially on huskys. its nice knowing it has a brake on it when its hanging next to your leg.

but as for recreational cutting like firewood or collector items i wouldnt be weary to cut with one at all. i make bore cuts with a 660 atleast every other day. if you got a firm grip on it and your face not behind the bar you shouldnt get bit. remeber to wrap your thumb around that wrap handle.

if your using the saw right it shouldnt be able to get you but shouldnt is the key word of that sentance.

be safe

I wont even owrk on one in the shop without a brake on it. Not fair to some, but as with PPE its bothers the living hell out of me seeing people using saws in sandles and shorts etc... Would much rather have a customer buy a pos homeowner saw with a brake and PPE than a pro-saw..........for I know they will be back with all there limbs to buy another saw. Buying a saw with out having or buying PPE is like buying a new truck and not realizing you need to have insurance on it.

I wouldn't want a broke one either... :laugh:

There are brakes on saws? Hmm... I must be one of the inexperienced dips that don't know no better.

Gary

Does this mean you aren't retrofitting a chainbreak on that 797?

Somehow I get the feeling, that some folks are dangerous using a churchkey, glove up.

i really dont care if my saw has a brake or not.... i rarely use the brake between cuts and never while cutting starting, if the saw is laid down or im walking for a time i turn it off, a starter spring is only $7, a brake can/will fail at the worse time... i dont trust my saftey gear to work....

having said that, my main saw is my 048(has a brake) and my pp260, my 051 only comes out if there is serious work, like splitting a log lengthwise or deep ice....

I've been running chainsaws for a living forever, on the little top handle saws they're just a damn nuisance and first thing I do is remove them. They get tripped by falling branches constantly, that get tangled in scrub, they add weight and unbalance the saw, they jam on always at the wrong time and in critical positions when you don't them to, they break and flop around, they get clogged with gunk and debris, they're just a PITA for someone like me.

On a larger ground saw I can take them or leave them, they can come in handy to protect your hand against thorns and scrub, they're still unreliable and again, prone to snagging and tripping when you don't want them to. I usually leave them as is on the larger saws but when they start playing up or break internally which inevitably they eventually do, then I just remove the guts out of them but leave the spring in that keeps them away from the handle.

Worst thing is listening to know-alls and tyros who think they know every thing and try to lecture others with 1000 time more experience as to what you should and shouldn't be doing. Tell ya, if you rely on chainbrakes to save your ass every day then you need to change your whole attitude and technique when using a saw. People who like and prefer a chainbrake I have no problem with, it's the know-alls who actually know jack sh!t about what they're saying that piss me off. :cool:

Last edited:
Only if you're a slow sharpener! They're handy if you use the saw as a walking sick on steep ground though

I've been cutting square wood all my working life. First thing gone from a most the saws (table saw esp.) are the bs-in-the-way gaurds. I'm not in the clear yet, journeymen aren't at all immune to injury. It's about what your're comfortable with. I prefer the chain brake, but would run without it all the same.

HAHA! that's a fact... :laugh:

Also... I don't think there is a brake that will stop that thing...

Gary

They sold SP125Cs with CBs, I about laughed myself sick. In my mind the little saws are the ones to be carefull with, anyone who picks one up, thinks they can use it 'cause they seem so toy like. Sawchain wounds are no joke, I think sharks leave a cleaner bite.

I like them and use them on my working saws in many of the situations that others have mentioned, especially walking around, but have never had the sort of violent kick-back they're designed for occur. Yes, I have had kick-backs, but I was ready for it and controlled it even though I did not anticipate it. That said, NONE of my vintage saws have them and I do not give it another thought. Granted, they are used only in very controlled circumstances (cookies and the occasional rip), but then with the damage these tools can do, shouldn't every situation be controlled to the best extent possible by the common sense and experience of the operator?

Nothing against chain brakes. Thing that does aggravate me though is that safety should begin with root cause prevention. A brake is an attempt to lessen the damages after the problem has occurred. That problem usually being kick-back, but it can help in other instances too. The most important safety item in my book is learning how to operate the saw to avoid the kick-back scenario in the first place. Once again, nothing against chain brakes, but, its not the most important thing.

Dan

Chain brakes won't prevent all kickback damage. Proper and safe operation won't prevent all kickbacks. Consider the situation where you're making an up cut through a log that has a piece of unseen steel buried in it. If the chain catches it just right, that saw is going to be thrown right back towards your ankles.

True, if you have your stance to the left of the cut, it will miss you. However, that doesn't change the fact that a violent kickback has occurred even though all proper operating procedures are being followed. Bottom line is that no single safety procedure or device is going to prevent all danger, and prudence dictates that proper procedures and devices be used and followed.

I have saws without chain brakes, most are so old and heavy I don't use em much. Personally my old saws without brakes don't scare me as much as top handles with em do.Sure as hell gonna take any off tho.

Whats a chainbrake?

Most of my saws don't have them, never did either. If they got them fine, if not fine too.

I love you guys who are scared of a saw without them as it leaves more "real" metal saws for me.

Some of you guys belive in a real sense of fantasy.

I have plenty of saws without brakes, and do not hesitate or fear to use them.

One the other hand, I always buckle my seat belt, even for a 1/2 mile trip through (our very small) town to the convenience store.

Guess that makes me inconsistent.

Mark

Naw, it ain't inconsistent at all. If you get in a '40 Ford without seatbelts, you'll likely still drive it, even though it's not as safe as a new car.

Same with the old saws.

I have em both ways, wouldn't take one off, would fix it if it broke, but not afraid of running the old ones. The respect and caution factor goes up a couple notches though.

Whats a chainbrake?

Most of my saws don't have them, never did either. If they got them fine, if not fine too.

I love you guys who are scared of a saw without them as it leaves more "real" metal saws for me.

Some of you guys belive in a real sense of fantasy.

Has nothing to do with fear. It's about common sense and appreciating your appendages.

Latest posts

Back