Chain Break Mania

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More from repeated flexing than from being stored in a mildly stretched state. Not saying the brake spring is going to break, just wondering if it would lose more of its "set" when stored in a more stretched state. Again, examples: releasing spring compression in click type torque wrench, not leaving a spring piston air rifle cocked in storage.
It definitely makes sense on an air rifle. Can’t say I’ve ever seen a broken or weak CB spring, but have seen lots of broken clutch bands.
I’ve seen at least one wood tick constantly activate CB on an 038 at WOT just to ensure it was working.

I worked in a research lab where we did full scale tests on aircraft structures and the fatigue experts assured me that if the wire diameter of the spring doesn't change due to rust or whatever, and if the forces on the spring don't make it exceed the limits of elasticity for the material, fatigue is not a factor and it won't make any difference how it is stored or how many times it is cycled. Recoil starter springs (in my experience) always fail at the bent end where the stresses are highest and probably enter into the fatigue zone.

3114415B-D33B-4EC6-98CB-D4D4F12013B9.jpeg Not a blanket statement, but those on the chain brake constantly are largely inexperienced and unproductive on a professional level.
The ones I’ve seen are either afraid of the saw and/or afraid of the tree, They high stump every tree and can’t conceive what stump jumping is all about.
Ok, I’m old school, but I’d get piss all done if I was clicking that confounded chain break constantly.
Who’s the inexperienced dweeb that came up with this so-called safety procedure?

Back