Chain breaker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocko

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased a chain breaker & 100 ft of chain, I cannot figure out how to pop tue rivet out, I can get it started but it will not push through both holes, also I keep bending the cutter while doing this.Does anyone have any helpfull hints?

Assuming you are using the correct size punch for the chain you're breaking, you should be able to get it to pop the rivet out if the punch is centered. However, if it just isn't working out for you, you might want to pre-grind a bit of the rivet head before punching, so there is less material for the punch to overcome.

I am assuming that you have the chain in an appropriate holder for punching the rivet out, and not setting it on some solid surface where the rivet cannot be expelled out the backside. This seems so common sense, but I've seen someone try to punch a rivet out against a solid surface before...figured it couldn't hurt to mention it.

That little black metal bar with all the grooves in it, is supposed to be sitting on the breaker, with the chain link resting in the appropriate 'labeled' groove for the chain you are trying to break. If the punch is not perfectly centered, it will be a ?????; and, if the chain link is not seated properly in the groove, then the link will bend. It takes practice.

The best thing will be with a chain breaker with an handle like Oregon # 24548A,They work great,but probably close to $100.If you intend to cut a lot of chain,its good investment.Like somebody said,the anvil has to be mounted solidly and a good punch is a must.

The attachment may help.

attachment.php

Last edited:
The anvil has to stop against the edges of the drive links. The rivets AND the opposite tie strap have to move down together as a unit. Best to just pop one rivet but only move it down a short bit, then go to the other rivet and pop it out. It is easier if you grind a good bit off the heads first especially if you are using the hammer and punch type but it is easier on everything if you grind first.

Oregon engineer; do you have any literature on proper riveting of chain that covers the importance of swelling the rivet shank to fully fill the hole and countersink as well as forming the head. Something about too slowly applying takeup makes a weak rivet even if the head looks good.

Breaking chian

Made up alot of chain working at my dads shop, (some 10 odd years)
I almost always grind most of the rivet head off before putting in the chainbreak.
It always just made things easier.
:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back