Chain choices ??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelhead kid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is the best chain for firewood?

Please include the application.

Oregeon 72CJ ( round, full skip) is all ever use, been wanting to try the carbide cutter chain, but costs alot.

dont use square ground for firewood unless you know its clean from dirt, no nails, steel etc. takes far too long to sharpen if you plan to dull it in a hurry. works best on big bars anyway.

I prefer 73 LG for firewood. personal choice, as long as it cuts

I would rather use semi-chisel. Have a bunch of full chisel, but dulls more quickly I think.

I love rsc but it is costly so I have more oregon chain than anything else. Oregon is easy to sharpen and cuts a tad quicker but the rsc holds an edge for a longer time than the oregon. I am slowly buying more rsc as time passes.

For firewood I wood highly recommend either Oregon LGX from Amick's or Woodman's Pro 30RC from Baileys. Not that there is anything wrong with Stihl, quite to the contrary, very good chain but relatively expensive. Just bought 20 loops of LGX and 28 loops olf 30RC. Both places have very reasonable prices and great service.

I know that Stihl chain is a little harder so takes a bit more effort to sharpen but many of them are sharpened at 90 deg to the bar rather than 80 deg so the beginner only has to deal with one angle instead of two.

Stihl RSLF / RSF

I recently went to the local shop looking for a full skip to get a little more chain speed on my 390 w/ 25" bar. I wanted a round chain (RSF), but the shop only had the RSLF in stock. They said that once it was ready for its first sharpening, I could start filing it round and it would be just the same as the RSF. Sounds reasonable to me, but would I be better off just to take it back and find the original RSF somewhere or have them order it? Thanks.

Back