Chain choices ??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently went to the local shop looking for a full skip to get a little more chain speed on my 390 w/ 25" bar. I wanted a round chain (RSF), but the shop only had the RSLF in stock. They said that once it was ready for its first sharpening, I could start filing it round and it would be just the same as the RSF. Sounds reasonable to me, but would I be better off just to take it back and find the original RSF somewhere or have them order it? Thanks.

No reason to, as far as I know!

I recently went to the local shop looking for a full skip to get a little more chain speed on my 390 w/ 25" bar. I wanted a round chain (RSF), but the shop only had the RSLF in stock. They said that once it was ready for its first sharpening, I could start filing it round and it would be just the same as the RSF. Sounds reasonable to me, but would I be better off just to take it back and find the original RSF somewhere or have them order it? Thanks.

Just use it and do like your dealer said.... round file when it gets dull. No reason to go on a hunt for chain when you've already got it in your hand.

Just remember that the laser etched file angles on the square chain are set for square filing, you will need to file at the 30* angle with the round file and not at the angles etched on the chain.

Thanks for the information and reminder that the etched file angle on the RSLF is not the ~30* angle that I want for round filing.

Just use it and do like your dealer said.... round file when it gets dull. No reason to go on a hunt for chain when you've already got it in your hand.

Just remember that the laser etched file angles on the square chain are set for square filing, you will need to file at the 30* angle with the round file and not at the angles etched on the chain.

No kidding, I have been filing the piss out of mine at the wrong angle, f***! That pisses me, The dealer told me to use round file but failed to mention the angle change. No wonder it isn't cutting worth much! Great to know.

Which chain?

Stihl chain is indeed very good chain, but I find I prefer Carlton, I can use the File-o-Plate and do a very nice job of sharpening pretty easily. I am not so handy at free hand filing the Stihl, and have not found a good file guide that I can work with. I only take a chain for machine sharpening (grinding) if it has been seriously damaged, like hitting a concrete plug inside of tree, etc.

I still don't know why Carlton is not more popular here in the USA where it is readily available. I understand from Troll that it is not easy to find in Europe or Scandinavia.

Mark

No kidding, I have been filing the piss out of mine at the wrong angle, f***! That pisses me, The dealer told me to use round file but failed to mention the angle change. No wonder it isn't cutting worth much! Great to know.

Yep if you bought square ground chain and are going to sharpen it round your best bet is too use a grinder for the first sharpening.
I've seem some good deals on square chisel selling for cheap and after the first use, throw it onto the Speed Sharp and it's magically transformed into round ground chisel. :cheers:

My dealer also said to use a file and make my own RSF from RSFL.

To me Im loosing some cutter, accuracy, time and $$. even if it is a very small amount.

Actually if you do it right you should get one extra sharpening out if it. :)laugh: like it really makes that big a difference)

If you do it right you can file the square chain to the correct angles for the round file and barely touch the working corner by just filing the extra metal left from the straighter angles on the square grind.

I took some pic's so you can see the difference in the angles and for those that are wondering about square ground chain.

The top is Stihl RSC the bottom is Stihl RSLK
attachment.php

Chain on the left is RSLK right is RSC
attachment.php

Both of these chains are factory sharp right out of the box. When you round file the "hook" angle in the side of the cutter will be a tad more rounded looking and closer match the etched mark on the side of the cutter.

RSLK on the left and RSC on the right
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back