Chain filing jigs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why are all the chain filing jigs look like a chunk of bar. I know its nice to file

a few at a time. If it was set up like a bar on end, it seems like it would give

you more room to swing the files to modify the cutters.

Any thoughts?

Are you saying to sharpen on the tip of the bar, like this? I would think being on the flat surface it would be easier to do the actual sharpening and setting the rakers. After that, most people bend the chain every sort of way and hold it with plyers vise grips ect to grind off the extra metal.

You know larry, I have an old K.O.Lee tool and cutter grinder, and that pic made me realize I could use that and a contour wheel dresser to grind chains in just such a holder, but with a wrist on the vice and taper pins to make it repeatable.

Rob

You know larry, I have an old K.O.Lee tool and cutter grinder, and that pic made me realize I could use that and a contour wheel dresser to grind chains in just such a holder, but with a wrist on the vice and taper pins to make it repeatable.

Rob

Rob,

I don't even think it would be a real challenge for you, keep us informed.

Later,

I think I 'm sure how to do it, the question is exactly what to do.

Here is another view and some related threads. Here and here also at the end of each thread there is a list of related threads, maybe you can get some ideas.

I'm still interested about the round chain vise. My next project is a vise and guide combo and I feel like I'm gona need your help with it.

Later,

Here is another view and some related threads. Here and here also at the end of each thread there is a list of related threads, maybe you can get some ideas.

I'm still interested about the round chain vise. My next project is a vise and guide combo and I feel like I'm gona need your help with it.

Later,
Thanks Larry, my read for the day.
For the vice, Do you want stainless so you can run a carb type coolant sprayer to keep the heat down?

Thanks Larry, my read for the day.
For the vice, Do you want stainless so you can run a carb type coolant sprayer to keep the heat down?

Well, I was thinking pandamodium, scents I see alot more of that around, but it does put off alot more steam. I'm sure if we keep bumping up this thread, someone will come along and help us with the vise filing jig, the grinding jig the shapes (round or flat) as well as what materials to use.

In great Esteam,

Well, I was thinking pandamodium, scents I see alot more of that around, but it does put off alot more steam. I'm sure if we keep bumping up this thread, someone will come along and help us with the vise filing jig, the grinding jig the shapes (round or flat) as well as what materials to use.

In great Esteam,

This ain"t baloneyium though not Unobtainium either, I just have a lot of stainless.

Do you know the carb type cooler? Compressed air and a hose from a coolant tank, you can adjust the amount of each so there is very little overspray.

Oh, OK, Im with you now. I'm talking about a vise for hand filing, I doubt I'll ever get fast enough to get it warm. I'm gona send you a link to what I'm thinking about @RS.

Later,

The one I got is used, it will probly have some lost motion in it (I'v not seen it yet) but I think with a little work and a jig to hold hold the chain rigid it could be made to file a really nice chain.

A round filling jig (chain vise) or a flat one, the world may never know.

Back