chain for demolition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been demoing plaster for the last month 8 hours a day. Your best bet for what you describe is a concrete cutoff saw and a sledgehammer. The diamond blade will cut the plaster all day long and be pretty quick but wont like wood very much. If you can get behind a section and use a wrecking bar to pry the lathe away from the studs you might be in pretty good shape.

On further thought, pound the plaster off and cut the lathe. Most of the plaster I demo has metal lathe so we just cut it with the coarsest saw all blade we have. Even when dull they cut the metal lathe pretty well

Demolition blades

I have an old Milwaukee Sawsall bought new about 1980 & have used
contractor owned units.
There are a lot of different blades available for this type saw depending
on use, I have have good luck with Lenox blades too. I have some for cutting
steel, some for roughing in wood and they make sort of finish blades too.
You need a demolition blade for a demolition job.
I have some Lenox hole saws & mandrels in one of my kits, as good as anything
I ever used, can drill a large hole in steel with a little lube.

demo chain

Follow up on the chain manf...

Chain was $134 (16" .325), not too bad, but no guarantee on how long it would last in the plaster. :(

The current plan is use a generator and "sawzall". I'll see if I can find the recommended lenox blades.

The 3/4" tongue and grove is the problem, fortunately some of the house has traditional lath.

I appreciate the comments/help.

take care.

If it was regular lath I would just rip it off with a crowbar (which is the only method I've ever used), but this lath is 3/4" tongue and grove that has horizontal groves on the outside. When the plaster was applied it filled the groves on the outside of the "boards" and was built up to cover the whole "boards". The "boards/lath" was nailed to the studs with a 16 equivalent. ........................

Is it that way on all the walls or just the exterior walls? One of our rental houses is that way. I had planned on stripping it, running new electrical, and covering it with drywall. When I saw how it was sheeted on the inside I covered it with drywall and ran wiremold on the outside.

I wish you the best of luck as it is going to be a tough job.

Bill

walls

Is it that way on all the walls or just the exterior walls? One of our rental houses is that way. I had planned on stripping it, running new electrical, and covering it with drywall. When I saw how it was sheeted on the inside I covered it with drywall and ran wiremold on the outside.

I wish you the best of luck as it is going to be a tough job.

Bill

The tongue and grove can be found on some of the exterior and interior walls. Fun stuff.

take care.

Follow up on the chain manf...

Chain was $134 (16" .325), not too bad, but no guarantee on how long it would last in the plaster. :(

The current plan is use a generator and "sawzall". I'll see if I can find the recommended lenox blades.

The 3/4" tongue and grove is the problem, fortunately some of the house has traditional lath.

I appreciate the comments/help.

take care.

Lenox blades sold at Lowe's, and most electrical/HVAC/plbg. supply houses.
Plaster on wire lath is tough to demo, old-school plaster w/hog's hair/wood lath a piece of cake. It's usually pretty soft.

I use carbide saw chain for cutting tree roots. Its good and will sort plaster Ok. I am troubled with your job about dust and saw exhaust fumes in any confined place.
Please be mind full about that
Carbide is great for tough work you will need to get specialized help to resharpen when it does go off.
You will also need hard nose bar as roller tip bar wont last long more $ cost here I reckon rent a power pak and demo Sawzall.

Seems by the thread your getting that figured

lenox demo blades

No go. I can cut 6' before the blade is shot.

The current method is knock the plaster and pull the nails out of the 3/4" tongue and grove. Slow, but it works.

take care.

Latest posts

Back