Chain Grinder Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as far as i know, they are the same grinder with different colors. i have the tecomec and it works great for my needs.

Actually, I want the one with the hydraulic assist. I thought it was the 511A with an option, but after looking at Oregon's site, I guess it's a different model number.

Anybody got any suggestions where to buy? I'm going to check with some local dealers.

Chain Grinders

When I get ready to purchase, it will most likely be from one of the sponsors of this site, Bailey's, www.baileys-online.com. They sell the Speed Sharp grinders that are manufactured by Tecomec, I am told. Their prices are very reasonable, and my dealings with them have been smooth. Great folks to deal with.

One thing to remember is, that when you go with the hydraulic assist, you don't get the tilting chain vise.

Ok, Baileys was the first place I went. I didn't click that Speed Sharp=Oregon. Should have looked a little harder. Looks like there is some costmetic differences between the two, but otherwise same setup at a very good price compared to anything else I found. And yes, Bailey's is a good outfit to do business with. I usually put in 3 or 4 orders a year. They get them out the door fast too.

On the Tecomec grinder the tilting mechanism is separate from the manual / hydraulic clamping mechanism. To get the auto clamp should not exclude having the tilting vise which is to accommodate the fact that most top plates on chains are angled about 10 degrees from horizontal. Without tilting vise a selected number of deg. of stone angle will not produce exactly that angle on the top plate. Not really that big a deal; you could set it in the central position for both sides and still sharpen very well. The tilting deal is built into most clamp on filing guides as well.

Frank

Sort of related.

I have a schematic of adding a reversing switch to these machines. Reverses the rotation for the other side of the chain. Not a real big difference. I think it helps slightly.

Email me, I can send you a .jpg of it.

-Pat

Ok, I did a little research. I downloaded the parts list for the Jolly and Super Jolly. The base for the chain vise on the Jolly is two-piece and allows for the tilting, while the vise on the Super is one piece. And the same for the Oregon grinders. No matter, Super it is, Baileys here I come. I think I'll get a set of their protective pants too. Always used chaps, but thought I'd give the pants a go now that winters here.

Last edited:
tawilson said:
Ok, I did a little research. I downloaded the parts list for the Jolly and Super Jolly. The base for the chain vise on the Jolly is two-piece and allows for the tilting, while the vise on the Super is one piece. And the same for the Oregon grinders. No matter, Super it is, Baileys here I come. I think I'll get a set of their protective pants too. Always used chaps, but thought I'd give the pants a go now that winters here.

Hi Tom,

I`d like to hear more field reports from users of the Super before I bought one. The reason I say this is because I`ve only known a few people to have them and they all had some sort of problem with the clamp.

If you are spending the coin on the super I would also suggest that you take a look at the Silvey 510, which I realize is more money, but is also twice the grinder. Pure pleasure to use.

Russ

Thanks for the feedback, Russ. I've been following all the chain grinder threads for over a year with the intention of getting one. However, in my current state of deterioration, if I don't refresh my brain every few months, it's gone. I'll stew on it some more before I take the plunge. For my needs probably the standard one without hydraulics would be fine. Probably will end up with the Silvey, tho.

Back