Chain Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a guy on here the other day that said he bought two of the Northern Tool grinders for that reason as he uses one for rakers

That's why I have one of each too....depth gauges on the NT; cutters on the Oregon. Keeps me from having to constantly change wheels and angles.

i have an oregon 511ax and i have been very happy with it for the money,i wanted a silvey but i couldn't justify one of those since i just cut firewood for my heat and winter time hobby :smile2:

IMHO The Harbor Freight grinder is not even good for rakers. It is just too flexible. The grinder head will never come down to the same height two times in a row.

Just get one grinder for now as you will come across a good deal later on. . . Being as you already have one?

i have an oregon 511ax and i have been very happy with it for the money,i wanted a silvey but i couldn't justify one of those since i just cut firewood for my heat and winter time hobby :smile2:

If money does'nt matter and quality does there is only one answer. Silvey

I dont mean to be offensive but I wouldnt buy harbor freight anything. Several people around the machine shop have purchased products from them and the quality just isnt their. The precision or lack there of has cost them some rework.

Love my Craigslist acquired Silvey grinder. Best 140.00 spent on a saw tool to date. :blob2:

Are all of these single speed?, if blueing due to high speed grinding (heat excess) is a problem, why won't people run them on a variac or at least a power dimmer?, torque is pretty much gone after a certain speed range with these brushed motors, but at least you get some degree of speed control.

Even a SPDT switch with a rectifier diode in series would be a better deal than no speed control at all.

The Carlton grinders I have seen are made by Tecomec in Italy (see plate on the unit, I thought China, was wrong), and I have seen them new for under $200 on internet auction sites.

Get a CBN wheel from Edge and Engine for $99.

Looking into that, sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
hello again, i am looking to buy a chain grinder. I have never owned one but i want something of quality and durability, so again, i turn to the pros!
What would you guys recommend?
Thanks in advance for your advice!:popcorn:
hello toolfreak,for a good last a long time,hard to beat grinder,is silvey 510 for round chain,they are not cheap.call madsens in oregon @1-800-822-2808. They also have square grinders,ask for warren.toolfreak u will cry only once for what they cost but worth it. Madsens,they are open saturdays . I hope this helps this is not harbor freight,this is madsens they know what works and what is worth your money. There will always be someone on here to find fault with what someone suggests,hey it keeps us straight and narrow.good luck sir

Always a wealth of knowlege in here. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. This is the best site on the web.
I am going to order the Oreagon 511ax to start with and see how i like it.

Dave

Always a wealth of knowlege in here. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. This is the best site on the web.
I am going to order the Oreagon 511ax to start with and see how i like it.

Dave

I just ordered the 511ax from Edge and Engine for $349 and FREE shipping.

I just got a Forrester Chain Sharpener as a gift. It's also an Oregon copy. It seems to work well, I have no complaints about it yet. I have only sharpened about six chains with it, but they cut well.

Greg

Latest posts

Back