chain keeps spinning at idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandtreeguy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
my problem is that my chain keeps spinning after coming down to idle speed. Ive adjusted the idle speed down but if it goes much lower the saw is going to die. is it a clutch problem? sprocket? any help would be appreciated.
Its a husqvarna 142e.

My 1st guess is that you're lean. You should be able to lower your idle well below chain engagement without the motor stalling.
Adjust your H and L and, if it won't adjust, check for air leaks or cracked fuel, carb. boot, or implulse line or air filter not set on right.
Maybe even carb. mounting bolts loose ? Might have a plugged fuel screen in the carb. or fuel filter in the tank ? Things to check that starve a saw of fuel or give it to much air.

Last edited:
Not sure what type of spring/springs are on a husqvarna 142e. but Ivw had Stihls with weak springs that act like that. Sometimes they will make a pinging sound when the shoe is engaging the drum.:chainsaw:

another vote for clutch

Does it spin constantly while idling? Or is it just after making a cut the chain spins slowly for a few seconds and quits. The easiest way to check the clutch springs is to use a tachometer. The clutch shouldn't engage until around 3,600 RPMs or somewhere near there.

Looks like the clutch springs are not available separate you're gonna need to buy a new clutch assembly Part# 530 01 49-49. Remember the clutch is a left hand thread when you take it off. :cheers:

It could be an air leak. When engines suck air from places that they shouldnt, they tend to run badly and idle high. I would check that first, then I'd probably check the clutch. I'm not sure, but could the throttle be sticking also? spray all the throttle linkages with some WD40 or similar product. If you cant get it to idle lower without dying, check things like the spark plug and air filter, make sure everything is in good condition, because if you have a fouled plug or a clogged air filter, it may need to idle a bit higher in order to run correctly.

Gab

aint got a working brake on this particular saw. Got it for free. it came with some problems I guess. has a giant hole in the muffler too.

Hole in the muffler? Thats a muffler mod. Heck guys around here are always lookin for more power and modding the muffler. Here you have one already done. Have you looked at the clutch springs yet? :cheers:

heh heh I thought it was a pretty good muffler mod too. No extra work required just use the hell out of the saw. Haven't checked the springs but am looking to get a new clutch to see if that works
:cheers:

Yeah stringy vegetation/ grass/ vines/twine can unknowingly bind up hidden under a clutch and cause the chain to spin at idle, but usually it's just thin worn springs and likely the spring holes are worn grooved too, whole new clutch always the best but if the spring holes aren't too shabby, then just new springs'll do it, the clutch'll last till the springs are thin again, 2 sets of springs to one clutch keeps it all running sweet usually

Back