Chain kind

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a ported NE346XP by Brad Snelling and would like to know what is the fastest B/C combo I could use on 8" squared off pine cants?The reason I ask is I lost to a stock 5100 in 8" pine today:mad::(:confused:Right now I am running a 16" Sugi Hara bar with .325X.058 Woodland Pro chain. As for the person or persons that said I was a weekend cookie cutter I was this weekend,we made a whole lot of cookies in Grantsberg,Wisconsin at there county fair and saw one hech of a demo derby:clap:No pics,lost my camera 2 weeks ago and was using a non digital one.

Last edited:
You can use a 16" but will have to move to 3/8 for race chain. Then for chain, start looking for someone to build you one. I'd suggest starting out with a non-thinned one. Better on the bank account and eaiser to swallow if it gets fubared. Great for GTGs...

You can use a 16" but will have to move to 3/8 for race chain. Then for chain, start looking for someone to build you one. I'd suggest starting out with a non-thinned one. Better on the bank account and eaiser to swallow if it gets fubared. Great for GTGs...
For me and my bank account that would be getting a 3/8 16" bar and a loop of square and work on it alittle with a grinder.

you could go 12" bar .325 with 8pin rim and convert some chisel chain to square :)

That would be fast I reckon. Much faster than any 16" 3/8ths anyways!

What chain was on the Dolmar?

Oregon's current .325 is faster than any Carlton .325 that I have used.

7 or 8 rim currently?

I have a ported NE346XP by Brad Snelling and would like to know what is the fastest B/C combo I could use on 8" squared off pine cants?The reason I ask is I lost to a stock 5100 in 8" pine today

ain't no way......did you check to see if your chain was on backwards? stock v. stock may. maybe....BS ported 346 v. stock 5100...i dont thind a chain could make that much difference..:monkey::monkey:

Something wrong there!

I just got a couple loops of Woodland Pro, haven't tried it yet, but I do not like the looks of it.

I also just ordered a 16" Sugi Hara bar .325X.058 for my 346 and will be running Oregon and Stihl chain simi-chisel for firewood.

ain't no way......did you check to see if your chain was on backwards? stock v. stock may. maybe....BS ported 346 v. stock 5100...i dont thind a chain could make that much difference..:monkey::monkey:
Thats what I can't figure out:( I thought I had the stock 5100 beat with an 11.00 second time for my 3 cuts but at the end of the day the 5100 showed a 9.75 for the 3 cuts:confused:Thats 3.25 seconds for each cut:jawdrop: I have a GTG at my place on October,09 and the 5100 will be there.

Last edited:
Your saw will be fastest with .325 and a 8-pin rim. 3/8 really pulls a 346 down. The 5100 prefers 3.8. The testing's been done already. Your saw should smoke a stock 5100. BTW, what do you have it tuned to?

Last edited:
They come with a 7-pin. That will make a significant difference in and of itself.

What RPM was the saw tuned to?
I have to get an 8 pin for sure and I tuned it to between 15,500 and 16,000.Do you know what the RPM should be in the cut for my current set-up?I have been trying to set my saws RPM's in the cut.

oregon makes an 11 inch setup for the 346 that should be quite fast.

Bar: 118SLBK095 pro-lite bar

Chain: 21LPX 52 drive links

Rim: 11891 8 tooth .325

I like stihl .325 RMC on my little 346xp if I have to do a lot of bucking. Cuts faster than 95vp.

No shame in being skooled by a 5100. A little lack luster in the handling department but if it had a set of wings, you know the 5100 could fly. Great saw!

This is what I might run 13" .325 bar with RMC chain and an 8 pin.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Good choice?
attachment.php
Thats the Woodland Pro .058 RC28 on it in the pics.

Last edited:
Good lookin saw, but probably wrong choice in chain for racing. I use that chain (Stihl RMC) for firewood because it holds up better, stays sharp longer and rocks don't damage it as bad as full chisel. But square chisel is faster.

Good links above from Trout!

Back