Chain kind

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RMC is not what you want to run, I run RSC .325 full chisel and if you have it filed square it will cut faster yet. I've out cut stock 5100 "by quite a bit" with my MM 346. A good chain will start out at $150 and go up to $250+ If you were running Bailey's NK chain you didn't have a chance.

Last edited:
16k.... Out of the wood?! What the hell does 16k out of the wood do for you?!

A saw at 5k in the cut will cut wood faster than a saw SCREAMING at 16k out of the wood. 16k is so unnecessary for a woods saw.

When it's 16k out of the wood what do the RPMs drop to once the saw is under load??

Last edited:
You should try running that up against a stock 346 with the same bar same chain and same fuel oil mix to see where your at with a like saw. Perhaps the chain isn't the problem. :greenchainsaw:

16k.... Out of the wood?! What the hell does 16k out of the wood do for you?!

A saw at 5k in the cut will cut wood faster than a saw SCREAMING at 16k out of the wood. 16k is so unnecessary for a woods saw.

When it's 16k out of the wood what do the RPMs drop to once the saw is under load??
I will check the RPM in the cut again this Saturday but I think the last time I ckecked it was turning between 11,000 and 12,000 RPM in the cut.Is 11.00 seconds for 3 cuts in an 8" square cant good?

Yeah your saw shouldn't see rpms over 13,500. If it's turning mid 11's in the cut while tuned at 16k you haven't gained anything.

Turn that saw down to 13,500 and you'll get the same in the cut rpms.

And no, those numbers aren't much to be all that terribly happy about. But as you said you weren't running a good chain.

You should try running that up against a stock 346 with the same bar same chain and same fuel oil mix to see where your at with a like saw. Perhaps the chain isn't the problem. :greenchainsaw:
Good idea and weLcome to AS.I will do that October.09 when I host the GTG.The same wood and saw will be there and I hope to see a stock 346 to.

I will check the RPM in the cut again this Saturday but I think the last time I ckecked it was turning between 11,000 and 12,000 RPM in the cut.Is 11.00 seconds for 3 cuts in an 8" square cant good?

sorry, but no. I won the 40-50cc class at Marlbank this year with a 8.31 in HARD aspen. Good soft pine you will see times around 7 seconds with work saws. Real race saws will cut it in 4 seconds.

Here's the thread from Timberwolf's GTG. The under 51cc saws were cutting 10" aspen in under 5 seconds for two cuts.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=105375&page=2

Last edited:
Woodyman, Thank you. a couple of quick questions to get this thread rollin in the right direction.
What kind of chain was the 5100 running?
What fuel was he using?
What rim was he running?
What kind of cutting experience did the operator have compared to you?

^^^^^^

Even so, his best bet is to run it against a stocker with the same bar and chain, same wood, same fuel, same everything.

That'll let him know where his saw stands.

Race chain or not, nitro or not, he should just run it up against a stock 346.

Exactly. And here is where a good tune on both is critical. It can make all the difference in the world.

When I first ported the 372 I had it tuned way rich and though man I messed something up. I pulled the plug and it was moist and black. I leaned it out some and got it tuned pretty good and it outcut a stock 390 in the same wood.

This summer the 2 shows that have woods ported classes to be in the money you had to run in 6-7 second range. That's a sub 60cc woods port class, air filters, chokes, basically woods ports with race chains. Saws were running on the ground, 3 cuts in 8x8 poplar.

This summer the 2 shows that have woods ported classes to be in the money you had to run in 6-7 second range. That's a sub 60cc woods port class, air filters, chokes, basically woods ports with race chains. Saws were running on the ground, 3 cuts in 8x8 poplar.

......and it takes a second to get the saw off the ground and in the wood, so cut times need to be in the 5's.

I have a ported NE346XP by Brad Snelling and would like to know what is the fastest B/C combo I could use on 8" squared off pine cants?The reason I ask is I lost to a stock 5100 in 8" pine today:mad::(:confused:Right now I am running a 16" Sugi Hara bar with .325X.058 Woodland Pro chain. As for the person or persons that said I was a weekend cookie cutter I was this weekend,we made a whole lot of cookies in Grantsberg,Wisconsin at there county fair and saw one hech of a demo derby:clap:No pics,lost my camera 2 weeks ago and was using a non digital one.
get you a loop of 21lpx and a 8pin rim,thats the best off the roll chain.
when you round file it you loose that killer edge tho.If the 5100 was running a 7 pin 3/8 he had more chain speed.The 8 pin.325 is the same diameter as the 7 pin 3/8.

Back