chain life = 15min?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then, I suppose as the chain heated up, and stretched, it got a bit loose and jumped the track (I didn't periodically check the tension!). I stopped to put it back on, and noticed the teeth were already rounded and worn-looking. I tried to saw once again - but it's virtually useless now.

I suspect that you hit something semi-hard, that was imbedded in the wood, at that point, or a nono-second before......

Last edited:
Interesting. I'll have to check around here what it would cost to refurb these chains.

I just took a peek at Stihl's web-page for chains. Wow! It's been a while since I took a serious look at this industry... that's a lot of different styles! No - I'm not a Stihl fanatic... I'm sure other manufacturers have similar, as good, and probably better offerings. All I want is to clear a few dozen saplings dammit! LOL!!!

Thanks again for all your advice guys! (and/or gals - ya never know)

Define saplings? if they are smaller, you can get a blade for your normal string trimmer/weed-eater that will do a much quicker and efficient job. It'll cut through anything up to 6 inches

Maybe he is cutting the ground consistently and doesn't know that that hurts things.

thats a good point hellwig, skipped my mind completely

if your bar gets in the dirt, even for a split second that chain is moving so fast it will have a chance for all the cutters to make contact before you notice. resulting in a quickly and confusingly dulled chain

hand file

I hand file as long as i can...hit something hard it goes to the shop...and when i can see some teeth are shorter then others ( not perfect hand filing ) i send it out to size each tooth the same again...but in most cases its when i hit something and hand file is not worth its time.

Hi...

Then, I suppose as the chain heated up, and stretched, it got a bit loose and jumped the track (I didn't periodically check the tension!). I stopped to put it back on, and noticed the teeth were already rounded and worn-looking. I tried to saw once again - but it's virtually useless now.

as for your chain loosening up so fast, you might want to take a good look at your drive sprocket. If it is badly grooved it will look like chain stretch as the drive links on the chain and sprocket wear to fit each other.

Latest posts

Back