chain Nail damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavy26R

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I hit a nail. By biggest concern is the burr I now feel on the back of the teeth. I've searched and not found any recommendations on removing the burr. I don't want this burr to continue to roll over under heat and stress. I'm new to chain saws, but not new to sharpening. I'm familiar with removing the burr from blades and especially hand plane blades and chisels, but what do you do to remedy this on a chain. Do I just use a flat file and best attempt to match the existing angle of the tooth?

V/r,

Chris

Depending on bad you hit the nail, you should be able to round file it back far enough to gain a new, bur free edge on the tooth.

By the time you file or grind out the tooth to sharpen it, probably won't be much displaced material left on the top of tooth. If there is, yes, a flat file can remove it.

Fixing a rocked chain is a pain and maybe not worth your time if you value it much. It can be done and everyone that cuts yard trees on a regular basis encounters junk from time to time. One of the hazards of cutting wood. A grinder is a much better way to repair the chain back to cutting condition and where a cheapo Harbor Freight grinder may be worthwhile if you file otherwise.

Sounds good. I'll go at it with just the round file first and flat if needed. Three or four teeth look bad with small chips and rounded edges. I am just concerned with the burr. Afraid of leaving a rolling over burr like a maul with a mushroomed poll. Afraid of promoting peeling damage. Thanks for the quick responses.

Last edited:
Back