Chain Oil.. Light, Medium, Heavy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEKS

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
0 Degree C / 32 Degree F here today..
I put Stihl Light Oil in my MS 362..
When I first started to cut, the chain oil was coming out from the bottom of the sprocket cover more than usual, (saw was indoors and warm prior to bringing it outside)..
I would think because the saw was warm and had the Light Chain Lubricant in it, the oil was flowing fast at the start..
Seemed better once outside for a while, still a bit more oil flow than the Medium..

What outside operating temperatures do you use to base your Chain Lubricant viscosity on..
Light, Medium and Heavy..
Thanks,

Winter is Coming..

once the saw has been running a while, it will warm up whatever viscosity of oil that is in it. I use the same stuff all year long but don't cut often in sub freezing temperatures. Some saws are more particular than others but I would suggest to just try a few options and see what works best for you. Seems it wasn't cold enough for the light oil based on your report.

once the saw has been running a while, it will warm up whatever viscosity of oil that is in it. I use the same stuff all year long but don't cut often in sub freezing temperatures. Some saws are more particular than others but I would suggest to just try a few options and see what works best for you. Seems it wasn't cold enough for the light oil based on your report.

Thanks, my thoughts also, first time I tried the Light Oil..
I know I will have colder cuts soon to experiment with..

Cutting in Michigan winters, I've found that relying on the saw to heat the bar oil results in a blazing hot bar and chain. Snowflakes shouldn't flash into steam when they hit the bar! No need to buy special winter bar oil, just cut regular bar oil with kerosene to get a good viscosity. No need to measure, just add a splash or two to your bar oil and shake it before topping off your saw. Mix it in a smaller container so if you get it too thin you can thicken it back up with straight bar oil. Another advantage of smaller batches in Michigan is that when it goes from 0˚F to 40˚F and back to 0˚F within a few days, it's easy to adjust the bar oil viscosity on a daily basis.

Save the light weight bar oil for cold weather, ie the -15C and lower, if your saw lives outdoors switch to it as soon as temepartures dip below freezing. Thicker oils still work, but take a while to get flowing on a outdoor living saw. Saws that travel to work in a heated cab and spend the night in a heated shop, oil viscosity plays less importance and once it flows its take longer to freeze up.

Save the light weight bar oil for cold weather, ie the -15C and lower, if your saw lives outdoors switch to it as soon as temepartures dip below freezing. Thicker oils still work, but take a while to get flowing on a outdoor living saw. Saws that travel to work in a heated cab and spend the night in a heated shop, oil viscosity plays less importance and once it flows its take longer to freeze up.

Thanks, makes sense, I left my saw in shed over night, started, and it was not pouring chain oil.
When it gets colder I will tuck it in the basement for the night..

Thanks, makes sense, I left my saw in shed over night, started, and it was not pouring chain oil.
When it gets colder I will tuck it in the basement for the night..
Be careful if you have any gas appliances in your basement you do not want a bomb in your house.

Log hogger pretty much nailed it.

Save the winter weight bar oil for when it's cold enough to make the nostril hairs freeze.
Cutting the regular weight stuff with diesel or hydro oil works fine and can be adjusted as needed, and works right down to just plain stupid cold. If your bar is getting warm, thin it down. Don't count on the saw to warm up enough to thin things out, as often it wont when it gets good and cold and you're setting the saw down one the snow between fills.

Saws do fine in a cold barn or under a box in the back of a truck. Just let them idle and warm up for 5 Min. or so.
It's not a bad idea to let 'em warm up longer in the cold, even if they snooze in a toasty warm bed.

Bringing saws into the house is kinda iffy really. Saws tend to pee on stuff, and get into the fridge when ya ain't looking.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back