Chain Oil or Motor Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may make a few of you cringe on here. But for over 20 years now I'v always used motor oil in place of chain oil. Why? because when getting into the industry they guy who was my mentor used it so I just always have. I know chain oil has properties that are better but it's never been any problem.

The reason why I ask the question is today a guy saw me putting it in and warned of a saw failure very soon. I told him the saw I was tipping it into was over 10 years old and I don't think he believed me. This has got me thinking how much better is chain oil, I suppose there is the environmental concern now with bio degradable oils etc... should I change?

On the ranch 30 years ago, we used motor oil all the time. The only thing motor oil will do is wear out the chain and bar faster.............If price is a factor, hit Wal-Mart--just about any bar oil is better than motor oil.

Bar oil is stickier, stays on the chain better. With motor oil, yer' oiling the log more than the chain and bar...........

Casey

Right, and preferably veggie bar oil - for several reasons...

-Environment issues
-Washes off clothes in a normal wash
-Oiler puts out more, specially in cold (freezing) weather
-Less is needed on the bar and chain.

Yep, I gotta try some of that. Wonder if it's less irritating if you get it in your eyes?

I always use bar oil but I just noticed in the manual I got with a new RedMax saw I bought it says to use 10W30 motor oil for bar oil... I doubt that I'm going to use motor oil but if the manufacturer is calling for it then it must not be to bad.

As said previously I can't argue against chain oil as never used it. But Im guessing RedMax dont produce there own brand of oil??? But Stihl and Husky do. How much is marketing and how much really is a major benefit?

If you think about it bar and chain oil doesn't cost anymore than motor oil, but has the benifits of a tackifier to help it hold on the chain longer and make it to the point (bottom of bar) that needs it. It also has added anti-wear additives that taylor it to withstand sliding metal to metal friction. As long as the cost is close to the same I would opt for the B&C oil every time and keep the motor oil in my truck engine. IMHO

I take advantage of good buys at estate auctions and pick up a fair amount of oil quite a bit cheaper then normal store prices.When bar oil is near the same or cheaper I get it. Run motor oil through my saws whenever and sometimes tranny or hydrolic. often I mix it in about any combo even with gear oil. I do stay away from used dirty oil. My oilers are holding up fine as well as my bar and chains.

As said previously I can't argue against chain oil as never used it. But Im guessing RedMax dont produce there own brand of oil??? But Stihl and Husky do. How much is marketing and how much really is a major benefit?

Good point....

Before you change over to bar oil, run your saw through some wood using motor oil. Shut off the saw right after the cut and check the chain rivets and bar rails for the presence of oil. The rest of the chain should be dry because the wood will wipe off any external oil, but that is not where the wear is affected by the presence of oil anyway.
You can then try bar oil and check the rails and rivets again to see any difference. I'm betting there won't be enough to write home about.

Latest posts

Back