Chain oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
In Australia the temperatures are a lot higher. I've found using a thicker chain oil seems to lubricate better.
The thinner ones are really thin if the days temp is over 90 F. Problem is that most manufacturers recommend the thinner oils and most of these manufacturers are in the cooler climates of the Northern Hemisphere.

Welcome Smokey. As a general rule, I switch to the heavy summer grade as soon as the temp is above freezing. Below freezing, I use the lighter winter grade. No problems.

I buy my oil on an annual basis at the bulk plants. They usually have a customer appreciation day, complete with grub. So I usually go to be appreciated, and load up with diesel oil (15 w 40 and 0 w 40), grease, gear oil, chain oil, hydraulic oil and hats and hamburgers :D

Originally HOMELITE said to use 30 weight oil , to be thinned with kreosene or diesel oil for extreme cold so adding a 50+ weight to a baroil that had some 'cling' would seem logical

Living in Florida, you would think I would have addressed that issue. But I have always used Stihl bar lube and never had a problem. We have a very large Stihl dealer nearby and his prices were always competitive (Brazen plug for 'Trail Saw and Mower 407-293-1861). I can buy Stihl lube cheaper than the cheap crap at Home Depot or the flea market. Great idea though, Bill W.
I have never had any problems with Stihl 2-cycle oil either, I run it in everything.

In Australia the temperatures are a lot higher. I've found using a thicker chain oil seems to lubricate better.
The thinner ones are really thin if the days temp is over 90 F. Problem is that most manufacturers recommend the thinner oils and most of these manufacturers are in the cooler climates of the Northern Hemisphere.

FYI, it also gets hot here in the Northern Hemisphere, well into the 100s in may places in the US, but not this time of year. Your summer is our winter. Many places in the US sell two grades of bar oil, one for summer use and one for winter use. Summer use oil is usually 30 wt. and winter use oil is 10 wt. (thinner). I have never found summer oil to be too thick, even when cutting in 100+ deg. heat.

Latest posts

Back