Chain Oiler Maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RES

ArboristSite Operative
With the several Stihl saws that I have owned, I have never had to mess with the chain oiler. However every time I open that cap it is surrounded with saw chips, etc. and I am sure some of that grunge has gotten into the oil reservoir over the years even though I have been careful to clean it before opening the cap. Is there a filter on the pickup that should be cleaned or should I take the approach "If it ain't broke don't mess with it"? My saws 038AV, 020AV, 015.

SteveH

SteveH

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
On my 036 Pro, if the oil is really low, you can see, with a flashlight, the little screen in there. Take a look and you could see junk if there is any. I blow off the saw with compressed air or brush off the sawdust with something to keep anything from falling in when adding oil. Compressed air is a good way to knock dust off the air filter, too. Of course, out in the woods, you probably won't have comp. air.... But every day when I come home I fire up the compressor and clean the saw off before re-upping the bar oil and so on.