Chain pitch for a 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopJimmy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just purchased a second 346 used and need and bar for it. I run .325 on my current 346 and am thinking about going to 3/8" I assumed that the .325 with a 8 pin rim would be the fastest, but reading some previous threads, it appears that the 3/8 7pin may be the best setup. I know freakingstang like that set up on the 5100s (I really want to try one of those). What do you guys with similar saws like. only run short bars and am usually limbing under 6" logs with it. If I switch to 3/8", then most of my saws will be set up the same and it may make sense to buy chain by the rolls.

Also I have not seen an 12" solid bars a Bailey's or on ebay. Are these available? Maybe I need to go to the 16". I know my old 44 sure cuts nice with the 12" and I put that set up on my 346.

Thanks,

Jim

I have two 346xp's I run 18" bar on both . .325 .050 and run Stihl RS chain . The RS chain is a lot more aggressive then the standard .325 chain.

For that small wood, I believe 15" bar and .325x8 or x7 (try both, the rims are cheap) and Stihl RS/RSC will be your best bet.

In larger wood, you could try 3/8x7 if .325x8 is better than x7.
It will give you about the same chain speed, but fewer cutters and better chip clearence - sort of a partial skip effect.

What I really believe (provided the 346xp is stock), is that .325x7, with a lower chain speed and more effective torque, will be the best option in larger cuts. The most effective chain with that sprocket will probably be either Stihl RS/RSC, Oregon 20-series LP, or the narrow kerf 95VP/H 30 on a Micro-Lite bar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back