Chain quality differences?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rancher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My saw started binding and since the chain was pretty well worn out I put a new ripping chain on my milling saw, it is the first new chain since buying the saw last year. With this new chain I can not cut off a slab without stopping and filing. Before I could mill a tree before filing. Perhaps these trees are dirtier though.

Anyway- Could the new chain just be of poor quaility? It is suppossed to be an Oregan but was made up at the shop.Any other reasons/ideas why I have suddenly ran into so much trouble with this? I have done about 1000 liner feet up till now. I am doing standing dead pine with around 10-12 inch butts using a Husky 395 XP.
Rancher

What's the exact chain style? Is it a copy of the "granberg" style, or does it just have the narrowed kerf 10 degree cutters? I have a 100 foot roll of some cheap so called ripping chain.... we were going to sell it at standard chain prices instead of charging for chain plus three sharpens ($30) to convert Stihl RM to a real rip chain... It is really bad - that box is going to sit for a long time unless some guy insists on it.. In this case you do get what you pay for.

What was your prior chain type/style?

Dirt will take a mill chain real quick. Do you "debark" the log first? If your bark has embedded grit you need to.. Just use a mutt or spud.

Latest posts

Back