Chain Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff1988

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at either getting an lpx or an RS stihl chain. Just curious what would be the fastest cutting chain at a .325? And does stihl chain actually last longer in terms of sharpening and stretching or is that just Stihl fanboy talk?

I'm looking at either getting an lpx or an RS stihl chain. Just curious what would be the fastest cutting chain at a .325? And does stihl chain actually last longer in terms of sharpening and stretching or is that just Stihl fanboy talk?
Stihl chains are pre-stretched and that is generally known..

The latter part of your question...as for lasting longer...longer compared to what..??

Stihl chains last longer between sharpening...BUT...are harder (take longer) to file by hand.
:cheers:
J2F

So filing by hand...id be better off to get the oregon lpx? and what about performance is there any noticble difference?

yup. if you don't bring a lot of extra chains with you the oregon and the carlton or Baileys woodmanpro (carlton) are better. The stihl chains seem to last a bit longer but are harder on files imo. I buy the Oregon or carlton depending what I can get a deal on. If you own a chain grinder or don't mind the extra time it takes to sharpen a Stihl chain, they work fine. I say buy one and see if you like it then decide.

So filing by hand...id be better off to get the oregon lpx? and what about performance is there any noticble difference?
You're not understanding my reply...

It's a trade-off...less times to file vs. easier to sharpen....(more times to file)

Either one will serve you well..!!

Price and availability would be my only real concern.
:cheers:
J2F

I vote stihl rsc I used lgx but I file razor sharp. If it wont draw a razor edge I dont use it . I file stihl after the box is opened . I switched my saws and most everyone that cuts beside me to it. The one guy was so impressed he cut six truckloads on one chain that he wont ever go back. My oregons are backups now. And buy stihl files it does take a file of harder material then the chain . Accuracy in filing matters too. I use a granberg for best edge in my eyes . I still grind a rock struck chain though to get rid of bad corners.

I'd call LPX and RSC dead even on speed. LPX is typical Oregon crusty dog terds though, and you'll file the LPX twice as often, so it's good that they are mushy to file. The best thing about Any Oregon chain, is the Husqvarna roller filing guide LOL!!

RSC isn't Difficult to file, the cutters are just harder and might need an extra swipe with the file, and cheap chicom files wont cut it.

Try a loop of both, and swap between the two for a bit. You'll have a preferrence before you get through half a tooth on each.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The LPX surely is fastest, if both are sharp, there is no doubt at all about that - but the difference is not large enough to make a difference in practical work! I am happy with both. :biggrin:

Thank you for the advice all of you. I bought an echo cs500p a little while back love the saw...I was looking into buying a pro bar and chain for it...I got a power match bar 16" for it. I wish there was an adapter for the Stihl super ES bar but I couldn't find anything for it, unless you guys know of some way. Just because the Stihl ES Super sprocket nose is attached by 3 rivets instead of one like on the power match. But I got a good deal, I paid 55 dollars including tax and shipping for the oregon power match bar. Was just glancing through brands of chain. The oregon lpx I priced 17 dollars on amazon...so it prolly cost me total 23, I havent priced the Stihl RS chain at a dealer yet. By the way, the bar I bought...160RNBK041 was the model number...I was using the selector on Oregon's website and it wouldnt give me a power match bar. I called the Oregon Techs, and had one of their guys look into it for me, and that was the number he gave me for a power match...which I see fits the Echo cs5000 and Shindaiwa 500 on the website. So hopefully it fits when I get it in...

Isnt round ground oregon full chisel known as lgx I thought lpx is modified bumper sorta like a introductory safety hybrid. but lg is comparable to rsc in looks identically . A oregon rep told me a while back that thier most aggressive was lg in round ground. Whats the reasoning behing lp cutting faster if you guys could elaborate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back