Chain Question ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four basic things:

Pitch - distance between rivets;
Gauge - thickness of the drive links;
Drive Link Count - length of the loop;
Type - cutter shape and special features, eg: full chisel / semi-chisel cutters?, low-kickback?, narrow kerf?, skip tooth / full comp pattern?, etc.

The first three (mostly) determine if a loop will fit your saw/bar/sprocket combination, regardless of brand. The fourth determines it's intended use. Each manufacturer uses their own numbering system for marking their chains, and their own terms for common features (e.g. 'low profile' = 'Picco' = . . . ). Don't get hung up on that. Details for each manufacturer's chains are available on their respective websites:

Oregon: OREGON Maintenance and Safety Manual

STIHL: Chain Saw Chains - Oilomatic Saw Chains | STIHL USA Mobile

Carlton: 2013-2014 Carlton Catalog

Tri-Link: TriLink Products

Bailey's also has a good "Chain 101" section in their printed catalog (no longer produced), but you can ask for a PDF version here:
Husqvarna Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's

Philbert

(P.S. - send me any you don't want - I'll find a home for them!)

Thanks for all the chain info. Found what I was looking for and much moore. There is a lot info on these manufacturer's web sites.

More Id help needed

I just bought a used MS290 with a half dozen used Stihl chains. I've id'd them all as .325 pitch and .050 gauge but one has ".325 T" stamped on it. I've scoured the web for hours and can't find a reference to the T anywhere. Any ideas on what it means? Also, does anyone have a link to photos that I could use to tell the difference between the super vs micro, comfort vs non-comfort and low-kickback vs normal features? This is the first saw I've owned and I'm trying to find out as much as I can about it.

Thx

It would be pretty rare to have .050 Stihl chain in .325. It would be far more common to have .063 drivers. I've never seen a Stihl chain marked with .325 "T". What does the bar on your saw say? It should be imprinted on the saw end of the bar if you can still read it.

Also, does anyone have a link to photos that I could use to tell the difference between the super vs micro, comfort vs non-comfort and low-kickback vs normal features? This is the first saw I've owned and I'm trying to find out as much as I can about it.

Welcome to A.S.!

The markings and even some of the names sometimes change with time. It's good to learn about some of the variations, but no need to obsess over all of them.

For STIHL chains, go to their website / chainsaws / chains . There is a lot of information there on current chains.

Google 'Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual' for a comprehensive guide to chains that includes stuff that applies to all brands.

Keep in mind that some of the terms used are simply brand names for the same thing. You need to understand the difference between 'full chisel' chain (pointy corner) and 'semi-chisel' chain (rounded corner) despite what they call it. Comfort features simply reduce vibration and are difficult to see.

Philbert

I've got a 5/8 pitch full skip chisel oregon that I'm trying to find info on, like years and where what used that size, I got an 090G that has it.

Last edited:
I had to double check that myself. All the references in the Stihl chain id and selection charts call for a 26 or 33 size chain. Here's some pics tho.
9yjunese.jpg

ababupyb.jpg

te7agehu.jpg

qe6ydapa.jpg

The chisel type (full or semi) was what I was really wondering about, but I thought if I could tell the other features I'd like to know that too (mostly for curiosity's sake). So any pics showing super vs micro stihl chains?

Last edited:
It would be pretty rare to have .050 Stihl chain in .325. It would be far more common to have .063 drivers. I've never seen a Stihl chain marked with .325 "T". What does the bar on your saw say? It should be imprinted on the saw end of the bar if you can still read it.

Stihl make both .050 and .058 versions of most chain models, no problem - but the distribution network and dealers want to restrict the choises, to make the logistics simpler for themselves.

Stihl make both .050 and .058 versions of most chain models, no problem - but the distribution network and dealers want to restrict the choises, to make the logistics simpler for themselves.

Absolutely, but unless he has an aftermarket bar, it's highly unlikely that a .050 driver chain is correct for his 290.

2yzu4aju.jpg

uva8anaq.jpg

he9avuge.jpg

ate4y7a9.jpg

The Stihl books all refer to 26 or 33 size chains for the 290. Could this be because it's a 16" bar?

I'm mostly wondering about the chisel (full or semi) the rest is for curiosities sake.

Rapid Micro is semi chisel and Rapid Super is full chisel. Full chisel has a sharper side to the cutter, not rounded like semi.

That is true, you need to know what to look for, to ID the exact chain model. The same is true with Oregon - but the Husky branded ones can be ID'ed exactly by the number. The issue with that system is that it isn't very logic - so you need to remember what each number means.

Last edited:
I'm trying to post pics but nothing shows up. Do they need to be approved or something?

The chains have 325 stamped on them and 3 on the drive links. The specs on the sticker behind the brake say 23RS and 23RM2. The stamp on the bar says 050/1.3 325 67 part #3003 003 7113

I'm mostly wondering how to tell what the chisel is on the chains (full or semi).

It's a Stihl Rollomatic 16" bar.

The chains have 325 stamped on them and 3 on the drive links. The specs on the sticker behind the brake say 23RS and 23RM2. The stamp on the bar says 050/1.3 325 67 part #3003 003 7113

.325 is the pitch. '3' is how STIHL references the gauge. The 23RS and 23RM2 are STIHL model numbers.
See this chart: http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/.../STIHL-Saw-Chain-Selection-Identification.pdf

Full chisel chains have a sharp, pointy corner. Look like the number '7' from the front.
Chipper chains have a rounded corner. Look like a '?' from the front.
Semi-chisel chains have a smaller rounded corner. Look like something in-between the two.

Philbert

Last edited:
I'm trying to post pics but nothing shows up. Do they need to be approved or something?

I'm mostly wondering how to tell what the chisel is on the chains (full or semi).

It's a Stihl Rollomatic 16" bar.
Very cool. It must be a Canadian thing. You are absolutely correct that they are .050. I should have looked at your location when I opened my trap. I haven't seen one before.

I don't see that bar number available anymore, nor do I see a 67 count chain either.

Hey, the pics I posted earlier finally showed up. Better late than never I guess.

Sometimes we just have to do things different up here in Canada for some reason. Maybe I'll take the chains in to my local saw shop to see how much life they all have in them. If they are all oddball chains, it might take some time to get replacements. They look like they are all "Rapid" chains.

Thanks for all the help.

Glad the photo thing worked.

Hey, the pics I posted earlier finally showed up. . . .Maybe I'll take the chains in to my local saw shop to see how much life they all have in them. If they are all oddball chains, it might take some time to get replacements.

Those chains all look like they have LOTS of life left in them. If you get new ones, pack those up and send them to me!

BTW, the 23RS and 23RM2 are only the chains STIHL recommends. You can run any brand (Oregon, STIHL, Carlton, Woodland Pro, etc.) as long as the Pitch, Gauge, and number of Drive Links fit your sprocket and bar.

Philbert

Glad the photo thing worked.

Those chains all look like they have LOTS of life left in them. If you get new ones, pack those up and send them to me!

BTW, the 23RS and 23RM2 are only the chains STIHL recommends. You can run any brand (Oregon, STIHL, Carlton, Woodland Pro, etc.) as long as the Pitch, Gauge, and number of Drive Links fit your sprocket and bar.

Philbert

You make a lot of good posts, but the last part of one was a little off.

RM2 have been NLA for many years (thanks for that). His current Stihl options are 23RS/RSC (same chain made at different time), 23RS3/RSC3, 23RM/RMC and RM3/RMC3.

The 3 at the end means those are "safety chain" (green label chain) - but way better than the ol' RM2.

The point I was trying to make Niko is that he does not have to limit himself to the models of chain printed on the saw label, or only to STIHL chain.

If he understands what fits his saw (pitch, gauge, and drive link count) he is free to choose from a variety of manufacturers, cutter types, etc., rather than on a model number which may have changed, which is obsolete, or which is exclusive to one manufacturer.

Philbert

Went to talk with the local dealer today, and all the 290/291 saws come standard with "23" size chains (.325 & .050). He just selects 14, 16 or 18" bar length when he orders them. Looks like all my chains are full chisel too.

Last edited:
Back