Chain recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearhead1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It has come to the point where I've decided to replace the chain on that McCulloch 1-76 I got running this fall. It has a 42" hard nose bar with .404" chain. In inspecting the old chain, I notice is made out of two different types of Stihl chain. About 2/3 of the loop is .058 gauge chipper chain and the rest is .063 gauge chisel chain. I checked the bar for clearance and came up with .070". I'm planning to go with Oregon chisel chain, but I'm unsure what gauge to select. Do you fellas have any useful advice on the matter?

I did some further checking today on the bar, and while the gap at the top of the bar groove is .070", it is only about .063" at the bottom. I wonder if I will have to use .058 gauge chain after all, as I don't know if .001" to .002" clearance is enough for chain to run freely in the bar. The old chain section which was .063 gauge was worn well undersize, and I'm guessing the chain loop had been made by splicing two used chain sections to begin with.

You might get away with mucking out the bottom of the groove with a thin cut off disc on an angle grinder. I have also used doubled hack saw blades in the frame. had to dress the set off the inside of the two blades to get the right thickness, but that is real hack job. unless you just want it for display it sounds like you need new bar and chain.

Latest posts

Back