chain rubbing on guide plate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcalian

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Growing up I helped my father cut wood for a living. I always admired his affinity for the forest..... and his chainsaws. He was picky about what he ran. Only professional models 046 and up and a few 372 xps. Six months ago I bought my first pro grade saw a fine 046 magnum. I have bought several new Sthil RSF chains and equipped my saw with a powermatch es bar. I love my saw and it cuts like a dream. But....... after installing a new chain guide plate it seems that my chain rubs against it. This had created a flat wearing on all of two chains drive links and scarring on the plate. Any suggestions?

I bought the guide plate from my sthil dealer.... i didn't specify an oem plate but, I would assume it is from him. Im also running brand spankin new sthil rollomatic es bar so I'd assume it would be the right tail height.

Check to make sure the plate is laying flat against the saw when installed and tight.
They are thin and bend/bow when tightened sometimes.
I check them for flatness for bar oil retention and have only seen a few that were bent rubbing the chain.
Sometimes the upper edge of the plate hits the saw frame pushing the bent tooth relief area outward at the bend.

Are you lifting the bar when adjusting/tightening bar?

Are you lifting the bar when adjusting/tightening bar?[/QUOTE]
.............................................................................................................................
On most Stihls, that isn't necessary as they fit tight enough on the studs to not have movement of an significance.

I always rest the bar on a block of wood so there is upward pressure on it when tightening the chain. I think Stihl manuals recommend lifting up on it, which amounts to the same thing. But necessary? Not sure. I think it's more consistent though.

Or maybe the clutch was installed backwards.

After checking for that, eyeball down the bar & sprocket for proper alignment with the clutch cover off, you may just need to bend the guide plate corner with pliers if it was bent by ingesting a stick or wedge of wood.

im posting pics now. im not sure about the number on the bar but, bar chain and sprocket are all 3/8 and .050. i always pull up on the nose of the bar when tightening the clutch cover bolts.

Latest posts

Back