Chain Saw Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Stihl 036pro here that is hard to start. When it gets up and running there is no issues. This issue is iam half worn out getting the thing to kick over. This just started about a week ago and used it 3 times with this issues. Have the choke on pull pull pull pull pull and it goes. What is your best guess on what the issue may be??? Air filter ? fuel line ? spark plug? I use saws alot just never have worked on them...something you can do your self or send it out...and if i send it out what is the going rate to tune and clean the thing up...thanx for the info guys....pics of my beloved wood pile coming soon.

Last edited:
If you take a look at the the main page you will see that there is a forum just for saws and you will get some good help there, plus some BS if like usual, LOL. Some easy things to check that cost nothing or little. How old is your fuel? get some fresh. Go buy a plug if you dont remember when it was changed last, Get it from your dealer they are $2-3 and while there ask what they estimate for tune up. Once you get your new plug attach the wire and lay the plug against the cylinder where it can ground and pull the rope, you should get a nice spark at any speed you pull the rope other than real slow. Do you have to choke it the whole time you are yanking the rope until it fires? If so I would suspect the choke isnt closing completely since I must assume it runs fine once it starts. Pull the filter housing and filter, close the choke with the lever and see if you can close it further by pushing directly on the choke butterfly, if so it needs an adjustment. If the choke is OK I would suspect fuel line, filter, maybe needs a carb kit.

I know that this is silly to say in front of the most competent chainsaw folks in the world, but I have been wanting to say.....

I have found that the most likely thing that I run into is a flooded saw.

To start a saw, put it on full choke and lock the handle wherever it locks.
Then pull until it coughs ONCE!!!

Then move the choke up one click , and start.

If it will not start, pull the plug and look for a wet plug (lots of gas). If it is wet, then leave the plug out and pull over several times, and dry the plug by blowing with compressor or whatever.

If you pull the plug and it is NOT wet. Then BTHOOM. (pronouced Bu-Thoom)

Try this. Hold down on the choke lever while you crank the saw> If it fires in two or three pulls take it of choke and pull it again> It should start. If this works the choke is not closeing all the way. 034 and 036s were bad for this if the choke link got bent or out of adjustment. Thanks off the air cleaner and you will see the link over on the right side.Push down on the choke lever and see if the choke is all the way shut, if not bend the link a little to adjust this or replace it with a new one. Hope this helps.

daemon2525 said:
I have found that the most likely thing that I run into is a flooded saw.

To start a saw, put it on full choke and lock the handle wherever it locks.
Then pull until it coughs ONCE!!!

Then move the choke up one click , and start.
In case the problem is flooding, and not that the choke doesn't close completely, I would try to open the choke (to fast idle positon) at the faintest sign that it wants to start, and after about 4 pulls, whatever happens or doesn't happen.

It has worked on the saws I have used, but as I said, only if the problem is that it easily floods.......

I run an 036 Pro myself, past several yr., before that for ten yr. an 034.

In both saws, the only times I had trouble starting were with older gas. I know it was said already, but if your fuel is over maybe a month or two old, pour it out and put in fresh [I'd use it for cleaning some bars or something]. I am pretty sure the owner's manual for the 036 says not to use gas that was purchased more than 30 days prior. If it is not there, I saw it on their web site. My dealer said the same thing when I replaced the 034 with the 036 ["be sure to use medium octane gas and nothing older than a month"]. I figured this really didn't matter [never been a problem in the two decades I was running an Echo...] but my experience has been that it is true. There are post strings on this site here that address this and why it is a factor. You can do a search to read about the gasoline and chemistry involved.

In each case, with me, once I shake out the old gas in the saw's tank and replace it with fresh, the saw has started up like a champ.

Assuming you've looked at the other issues pointed out - choke, fuel filters, plug, fuel and impulse lines, fresh gas, etc, 2 other items that can make a saw hard to start are:

- Incorrect (too large) coil to flywheel magnet gap - use a business card to gap it.
- Crank shaft seals leaking. Usually the flywheel side.

Back