Chain Saw Math

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I really like about Philbert's chain saw math is that he works with link dimensions and not geometric circle diameter, radius, and circumference. That seems to make it easy to convert the RPM to linear distance without using the constant, pi and other formulas. That being said, if you ever need to use the pi constant and don't have a scientific calculator handy, use the fraction, 355 / 113. It's 100,000 times more accurate than 22 / 7 and still rather easy to remember.

Where did I come up with that? Well, I used to program computers for a living back when no pi constant was built into the languages. I wrote a program to find the most accurate fraction that was better than 22 / 7 and discovered 355 / 113 was the best without getting too complicated.

Philbert,
I didn’t check your math, but it looks reasonable. However I use the same 200rev/sec as an analogy, when I try to emphasize to a customer that there’s nothing “safe” about a ”safety” chain. Low/reduced kick back...maybe. Safe? Ahhh, No....

Latest posts

Back