Chain Saw Mill Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Koehn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone first time post here as stated in the title I have a question on a chain mill I’m building I’ll try to post some pics so it makes more sense. I’m using a 070 clone power head and my plan was to build a bracket that the saw itself bolts to via the bar studs versus bar clamps as this saw is ferocious heavy and I’m scared of bending a bar. My question is am I asking for a busted case/ pulled bar studs bolting up directly to the saw9B32E828-0A72-4610-8DCA-15644FF25A1B.jpeg9B32E828-0A72-4610-8DCA-15644FF25A1B.jpeg99E5F138-EF7F-4C50-BCC8-3DF8593B16B0.jpeg

I cant quite grasp what you’re doing, how is the saw moving through the log?

Not familiar with that type of mill, i use a Granberg Alaskan but i would think clamping to the bar alone would be the way to go. Looks like you have a good, bar wouldn’t worry about it bending, with the power head cantilevered closely to the frame of your carriage. What kind of stuff are you milling in Guatemala?! Probably a lot harder than what i mill!

I actually live in West Tennessee now but was born in Guatemala I miss understood something in the profile building process thought it was asking for country of birth but I guess not because it showed up in my profile as current residence I think I have it corrected now
I have a Alaskan mill with a stihl 460 that currently is down with broken av mounts. It worked well for cutting slabs but not so well for dimensional lumber. This mill I’m building now is designed more for cutting dimensional lumber

Here are a few designs of bolting to the bolts.

880four.jpg880.jpgGuard.jpg
LSpics2.jpg
Note how my mills sit further back back from the front of the powerhead so it uses the full length of the bar and because the powerhead is close to the mill it is better balanced.

Can't tell for sure from your pic, but you will probably want to clamp the bar nose somehow too.
BobL's double-nose with tensioner design is awesome (in top pic of what he posted above). You should check back threads to see his stuff.

Thanks BobL for those pics I had come across some pictures of the second mill there a long time ago just browsing and was looking for them again the other day and couldn’t find them

I use a Granberg saw mill and it's designed so that the weight of the mill is supported by the log itself with no down pressure on the bar and therefore no reason for it to bend. If you are making dimensional lumber the weight is still on the log and not the bar. If you are looking to get the very last piece of wood out of your log, it is still possible to do it if your table is set up properly. My table has 3/4" stops on the outer edge and I can clamp the wood along the way as I mill to prevent the final slab from moving. For safety sake the last cut is 1" thick.

Looks good Charles- let us know when you make some cuts. Really interested in how those clones perform.

Thanks BobL for those pics I had come across some pictures of the second mill there a long time ago just browsing and was looking for them again the other day and couldn’t find them
The recent upgrade of the site lost many of my pictures AGAIN! %^(&*%Q$#&
It also lost all the links in my sig.
Last time this happened the mods let me upload my pictures and it took ages but I'm stuffed if I will do this again.
There also used to be a link to a members attachment list which was a vital way for me to find old posts but that seems to have vanished.
If you want pics PM me your email and I will send you a few.
That goes for anyone about any of my projects.

Latest posts

Back