chain saw ???????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEW BURNER

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i need to know what kind of saw i need. im going to be cutting around 10cord/yr. i would like a saw that will last a long time. shindaiwa? stihl? husky? need to know what size too. thanks in advance.

Depends

on how much you want to spend and if you want new or used? and how long you want it to last? me personally i wouldn't buy a new husky their plastic crap now i like metal case saws but it takes some grunt to swing them around all day long ECHO are really nice saws and they still have metal handles. Stihl is also an option but i believe your paying more for a name than you are the quality anymore me personally i run Mcculloch and i love them sure their used but their all metal and withstand the test of time! really the choice is all your own :potstir:

on how much you want to spend and if you want new or used? and how long you want it to last? me personally i wouldn't buy a new husky their plastic crap now i like metal case saws but it takes some grunt to swing them around all day long ECHO are really nice saws and they still have metal handles. Stihl is also an option but i believe your paying more for a name than you are the quality anymore me personally i run Mcculloch and i love them sure their used but their all metal and withstand the test of time! really the choice is all your own :potstir:

Where did you hear this?

For the OP,

I would suggest a stihl 026/260pro or the 261. If you want used you can buy a 026 pro for around $250. Im not sure new price on the 260 or the 261. They are all good saws.

Need a bit more info. Wood dia.Type etc. The better quality the saw, the more durable it will be.It will be more expensive, but buy once cry once.

i wouldn't buy a new husky their plastic crap now

Hell, all the brands have plastic now! :D

More than half the Huskys have metal crank cases though, 353, 359, 365 and all the XPs'.:pumpkin2:

This question gets ask way too often! You will get a lot of personal opinions.

Here's mine...

I'd get a Husky 346xp. I cut over 10 cords a year with my old 346.

i would like a new one. around 350 and would like it to last as long as possible. dunno much about chain saws

Echo cs 400 is less then $350. Its a good saw.

Or you could spend about $50 more and get the Stihl ms290.

what do ya need to know about what im expecting out of a saw and ill tell you. just dont really know what all is needed to get a more exact saw.

don't forget to check out efco's. spelled E-F-C-O. good, professional grade saws. the size you get pretty much depends on what you want to cut. i'd like a bigger saw but i've been cutting with a 49cc Olympyk (made by efco) for 25+ years. recently acquired another Olympyk, this one a 53cc saw that's about 20+ years old. would really like at least a 60cc saw but prefer a 70cc for knocking the big wood down. lots of good saws out there. just don't go to a big box store and think you're gonna get a long-lasting saw; plastic wears out faster than magnesium. go to a saw shop. that is, unless you just want your saw to last a couple years.

didnt hear it felt it

went looking for new saws with my fried last week after searching several stores we decided that the echo was better than the husky still has aluminum handle husky are all plastic now old husky's are great new ones plastic my opinion if you want a new saw GO ECHO OR STIHL couldn't give me a new husky

Well, first Shindaiwa dont make chainsaws any more.

To me, if you are cutting a lot of wood, an d it is any size, I say go with a good size saw, it'll get the job done quicker and easier. I'd say 55-65cc is a good solid size.

So...now you have the choice of brands. My recommendation based on my new saw is an Efco 156 or 165. Metal bodies, 5 year warranty, lodead features, low prices. Stihl, Husqy and Jonsered are all good alternatives. I think Echo make junk saws.

went looking for new saws with my fried last week after searching several stores we decided that the echo was better than the husky still has aluminum handle husky are all plastic now old husky's are great new ones plastic my opinion if you want a new saw GO ECHO OR STIHL couldn't give me a new husky

You mention "stores" so im assuming you went to home depot and lowes. Those are not pro Husky saws. They are homeowner.

id say anywhere from 14-16 in on down. our local small engine dealer still sells shindaiwa?

:msp_blink::popcorn:
Get the best quality saw that you can afford in 50-70cc, that's not a home-owner, "lowe's" saw. 18-20"is a good all-around size for firewood, but if you come down with CAD like the rest of us (chainsaw acquisition disease), you'll soon have a 16", 20", 24", 28" and 36" sized model,... LMAO!

This is useless advice for the OP. First off it all, it depends on what size of wood you will be cutting--different wood, different sized saw. Secondly, visit the dealers in your area--handle the saws; cut with them if your dealer has a log deck. A lot of it will come down to the best dealer; buy form one who is willing to help you and that you can trust for parts and service. As far as what saw--well everyone has an opinion, and they are just that, an opinion. Usually guys will recommend what they use, or have. I could tell you to get a 346xp or other husky, but that wouldn't necessarily be the best advice for you. Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, Efco, etc., all have good saws available.

Tim

Back