chain saw ???????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl 260 Pro

Where did you hear this?

For the OP,

I would suggest a stihl 026/260pro or the 261. If you want used you can buy a 026 pro for around $250. Im not sure new price on the 260 or the 261. They are all good saws.

The pro saws are a lot more expensive. I bought a Stihl 260 pro 2 yrs. ago for $500 something. It is a work horse of a little saw. Being a pro saws there are differences. The only thing I've done to it was drill some extra holes in the muffler. I cut 10-15 cord of hardwoods a year.
They Stihl 260 Pro is a great saw. But I agree with the other posts- you will probably end up with several saws.
Happy cutting!:msp_smile:

Some are happy with their 290, and I have no problem with that. If you've never run a quality pro saw, then ignorance surely is bliss.

I honestly do not have any background to argue with you on this statement. Almost all of my experience with chainsaws have been wth the old McCullochs and Poulans, and to me, my MS290 weighs almost nothing, and it's fuel consumption is pretty well none. Maybe my best bet would be to avoid the Stihl dealer now because I might have to get myself in trouble again!

I honestly do not have any background to argue with you on this statement. Almost all of my experience with chainsaws have been wth the old McCullochs and Poulans, and to me, my MS290 weighs almost nothing, and it's fuel consumption is pretty well none. Maybe my best bet would be to avoid the Stihl dealer now because I might have to get myself in trouble again!

There's nothing wrong with the saw you have as long as you keep it in good condition. Nothing wrong with old McCullochs and Poulans either. As long as you're pleased with the one you have, why buy something more expensive?

There's nothing wrong with the saw you have as long as you keep it in good condition. Nothing wrong with old McCullochs and Poulans either. As long as you're pleased with the one you have, why buy something more expensive?

I think the summary of this thread would be: Buy the best saw that you can afford, that feels good in your hands, that will be the best compromise of weight/power/capabilities for the given task at hand. If all I had was the 1963 McCulloch that my Grandfather bought new, and no money to buy a newer/lighter/faster saw, then that would be "it". I'll never get rid if it and still love using it, but I'm thankful that money and hard work have afforded me other options for an every-day saw. Good luck with you future sawing, with whatever saw you decide on!

Latest posts

Back