chain saw ???????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think you would want more than one saw. I cut right at 20 full cords last year. I try to sell at least 15 and burn the rest. I dont know what I would do with just one saw and was going to try and cut that much wood.
If I were you, knowing the type of trees in the area, I would search for a saw in the 50cc range and 70cc-90cc. I personally started several years ago with a box store poulanpro than I thought did the job nicely, but when I got to use a real saw, boy how shocked I was. It use to take me a full day to cut and load my 16ft trailer with right at a cord now it takes less than 3 hours and most of that time is loading. If you want to get the feel of a few differnt saws let me know I have a few you could try out to help with your decisions. Good luck :cheers:

If I were goin for a 50cc saw i would get a 346. I really like how lite and how well it handles. Its also very,very powerful for a 50cc saw. I think its the ideal firewood saw. However, the same can be said of Stihl,Dolmar,Makita and other brands. This is only my opinion. But like I said, if its a 50cc saw then i would get the 346. Ported, they are unbelievable.......:spiderman:

If I were goin for a 50cc saw i would get a 346. I really like how lite and how well it handles. Its also very,very powerful for a 50cc saw. I think its the ideal firewood saw. However, the same can be said of Stihl,Dolmar,Makita and other brands. This is only my opinion. But like I said, if its a 50cc saw then i would get the 346. Ported, they are unbelievable.......:spiderman:

I love mine stock (well small muffler tweak). I can only imagine what it would be like ported and polished.

Some decent advice here.

I would suggest that you really have 2 good options - and several that *might* let you down.

Option 1) Get one saw. If you were going to go this route then I would definitely recommend a saw in the 60cc range. Get a 16 or 18" bar as well as a 24 or 25" bar. It will run very well with the 18" and fairly well with the 24. Based on the size of wood you're asking about, the 18" will suffice for 90% of your cutting. When necessary, put the bigger bar on. You'll be unlikely to need anything bigger, but you may find 60cc gets a bit heavy for limbing all day.

Option 2) Get two saws. Ideally you'd be looking in the 50 and 70cc range. The 50 will be a nice light limber & the 70 will be your felling & bucking saw. There are good offerings from Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, etc but if you're going with a 2 saw plan I would strongly recommend getting both in the same brand.

You mention that you "want new" - well bear in mind that used, if you're patient & dilligent, will get you your best bang for your buck. I got a Stihl 036 (rough looking, but runs great) for $70 and an 034 super (mint condition, needed a $5 fuel line) for $90. Both are 60cc and the "new" equivalent would be well beyond your $350 budget.

One thing to consider with used saws - watch out for the "really" old ones as many are quite a bit heavier and may have little to no anti-vibration relief.

If it was me, id look on craigslist (you could even put a "saws wanted" add on there) and my local classified. I would plan to spend $150-200 on a good used saw (or if I was lucky 2 or 3) and then use the rest of my $100 budget on some PPE (personal protection equipment).

Good luck.

went looking for new saws with my fried last week after searching several stores we decided that the echo was better than the husky still has aluminum handle husky are all plastic now old husky's are great new ones plastic my opinion if you want a new saw GO ECHO OR STIHL couldn't give me a new husky

you do realize stihls are plastic too.dont forget to slam dolmar too,they are plastic.

Echo is what happens when ya Fart in a Canyon.
Lotsa noise and stink, but not much else.:msp_biggrin:

ona serious note, the OP was looking to cut 10 cords a year.
that means a solid GP saw. 60cc most likely.

Next up is what dealers are close and who he can tolerate dealing with, even Echo.

My Vote?
Stihl 362, Husky 359, Dolly/Makita 6100.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Some decent advice here.

I would suggest that you really have 2 good options - and several that *might* let you down.

Option 1) Get one saw. If you were going to go this route then I would definitely recommend a saw in the 60cc range. Get a 16 or 18" bar as well as a 24 or 25" bar. It will run very well with the 18" and fairly well with the 24. Based on the size of wood you're asking about, the 18" will suffice for 90% of your cutting. When necessary, put the bigger bar on. You'll be unlikely to need anything bigger, but you may find 60cc gets a bit heavy for limbing all day.

Option 2) Get two saws. Ideally you'd be looking in the 50 and 70cc range. The 50 will be a nice light limber & the 70 will be your felling & bucking saw. There are good offerings from Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, etc but if you're going with a 2 saw plan I would strongly recommend getting both in the same brand.

+1 on this. I also would look at a used Pro saw from Stihl or Husky. Otherwise, on a $350 budget, I would look at Echo.

id say anywhere from 14-16 in on down. our local small engine dealer still sells shindaiwa?

Welcome to the site,Newburner.Echo bought out Shindaiwa a year or so ago but there are still some new saws around.If your local dealer has a Shindaiwa 488 or 490 in your price range ,it would be a good buy.They are pro saws made to last.I personaly use a 488 that is 17 yrs old and has never been in shop for anything other than normal maintenance.Any good new saw is going to be somewhat expensive so a quality used saw would be a good option.I'm guessing that you will be going to a dealer for maintenance and repairs so find a dealer you trust and they should be able to set you up with a good saw.I agree with all the others about buying a saw from someplace that offers service. Best of luck with whatever you end up with. D.Brown

Originally Posted by countrycummins View Post
went looking for new saws with my fried last week after searching several stores we decided that the echo was better than the husky still has aluminum handle husky are all plastic now old husky's are great new ones plastic my opinion if you want a new saw GO ECHO OR STIHL couldn't give me a new husky

you do realize stihls are plastic too.dont forget to slam dolmar too,they are plastic.

He hasn't a clue :D

When was the last time Husky or Stihl offered a rear handle made of metal? 20-25 years, longer? :msp_tongue:

He hasn't a clue :D

When was the last time Husky or Stihl offered a rear handle made of metal? 20-25 years, longer? :msp_tongue:

I was going to say... My Grandfather's old 011 or 012AV (can't remember the exact number but it was ORANGE), was no spring chicken, but it's rear handle was plastic. I wish I had known that he intended to sell that saw when he did, I miss it. Toughest darn little saw I've ever seen, not counting the OLD Macs and Homies,...

There's really not much wrong with any of them other than the off brand Chinese saws, which I wouldn't recommend yet. It's a matter of how you take care of the saws that matters. I don't recommend plastic if you're gonna use it to block up your car while you're working under it but with normal sawing, plastic is fine. Plastic is a little easier on the bod when you're spending a lot of time cutting.

There is nothing wrong with plastic handles. And for most, plastic cases. IMO if a handle is going to break it is because something very bad happened and it doesn't matter if it is plastic or metal. Both Hucky and Stihl have similiar construction along there prospective saw lines. For the OP is would suggest a used pro saw. 60cc is a good range if you are only going to have one saw. If you are buying new consider some of the brands the other guys have mentioned. EFCO, Dolmar, etc. That being said, there is nothing wrong with the 455 Ranchers and MS290's of the world. They are a little heavy, hard to work on, etc., but are quality saws and will last a long time if you take care of them. The important internals are really no diferent in quality than there more expensive counterparts. See if you can find a used saw from a member here in the classifieds. 036/MS360 Stihl, 359 Husky, would be good choices. If you can find a 365 Husky in your budget that would be the ticket IMO.

its just not nice to bash saws from one company when the other companys use the same materials. husqvarna, jonsered, stihl, and everyone else all have great products that will last a long time if properly taken care of. if you want a top grade product with top grade features you pay more for it. PERIOD! i love my husky 350 even if it has a plastic crank case and it doesnt change the performance of the saw and have never had a problem with it other than the muffler. it has cut several hundred cords of wood in six years and still runs like a champ!

My brother has been running a plastic Stihl MS290 for years. 10+ cords of firewood a year, thinning large tracks of pine trees and logging. He has yet to break any plastic and there's a bunch on that saw!

:hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back