chain saw'n

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a lot of work goin on out there?? What's the cost of living like?

where i'm from you will find that not one contractor will actually promise you work. he will say we got 4 days of work up here or there and that will be your try out. if he feels you work well for your level of experience he'll keep you on but if you fall short he'll send you on your way. there is alot of work where i'm from but this is Canada so i can't be sure about the western states.

where i'm from you will find that not one contractor will actually promise you work. he will say we got 4 days of work up here or there and that will be your try out. if he feels you work well for your level of experience he'll keep you on but if you fall short he'll send you on your way. there is alot of work where i'm from but this is Canada so i can't be sure about the western states.
:eek: Ooooooh I see

cost of living is brutal. my father lives inland a bit and i can buy a bag of oranges or potatoes for the same price as i can buy one here. sucks bad but the west coast is where it is at.

cost of living is brutal. my father lives inland a bit and i can buy a bag of oranges or potatoes for the same price as i can buy one here. sucks bad but the west coast is where it is at.
Wow... Crazy but I would love to go out an cut there explore the logging industry some.. See if I like east or west coast logging better lol.. What do cutters make

this is Canada though so don't quote me on what full rate is down south. it is a real long process for you to be able to fall tree's here.
Yea... Hell here you must be able to drink beer an smoke dope!! Lmao jk there's a lot like that luckly I nvr was Into that stuff

you also gotta realize that fallers here are all private contractors so we gotta pay all our own medical, workers compensation, taxes, gear, and certificate renewal with that aount so it works out to about $450 a day.

you also gotta realize that fallers here are all private contractors so we gotta pay all our own medical, workers compensation, taxes, gear, and certificate renewal with that aount so it works out to about $450 a day.
Same here unless you can find cash work.. An it pays ALOT less than what you all make

i'm just getting started out man. i'm a pu$sy greenhorn LOL i mean i have fallen some big wood but nothing getting paid to do. i'm just in the training process LOL. starting rate for me is $280 a day with no other expenses cause i fall under the head contractors liability for the first year, boss says i'll be making full rate by may next year though.

i'm just getting started out man. i'm a pu$sy greenhorn LOL i mean i have fallen some big wood but nothing getting paid to do. i'm just in the training process LOL. starting rate for me is $280 a day with no other expenses cause i fall under the head contractors liability for the first year, boss says i'll be making full rate by may next year though.
That's good tho man you gotta start out somewhere.. If it was easy women an child would be doin it.. Right?

i don't have a problem doing it. it's funny cause you see some guys who have been in it for 5 years or more and still haven't got a clue whatsoever. like you said about high stumps in the beginning. the head contractor here made a guy go cut all his stumps lower and were talking tree's that are 6'-10'. have to use wedges all the way around so the bar don't get pinched. took the guy longer to lower his stumps then it took for him to drop his tree's :laugh: he's gone now though, i don't know who trained him but he wasn't trained right. i believe he had already been in it for 8 years or so.

i don't have a problem doing it. it's funny cause you see some guys who have been in it for 5 years or more and still haven't got a clue whatsoever. like you said about high stumps in the beginning. the head contractor here made a guy go cut all his stumps lower and were talking tree's that are 6'-10'. have to use wedges all the way around so the bar don't get pinched. took the guy longer to lower his stumps then it took for him to drop his tree's :laugh: he's gone now though, i don't know who trained him but he wasn't trained right. i believe he had already been in it for 8 years or so.
:buttkick: Wow that would deff blow!

the head contractor here made a guy go cut all his stumps lower and were talking tree's that are 6'-10'. have to use wedges all the way around so the bar don't get pinched.
What kind of trees are you cutting that are that big??? I worked at a lumber mill for a few years, and anything over 5' diameter was a total PITA to deal with... we mostly cut Doug Fir around here... I found these trees while out on a drive with the family. Most of the big ones are gone now...
image.jpg

There's some real steep ground in the WV mountains and down into north Georgia. They've logged with helicopter 5 times in my little area in the past 7 years. The trees just aren't near as big as what you've got in BC.

If BC is more expensive than Edmonton it would cost $10-12 dollars to pack lunch of 2 sandwiches.

There's some real steep ground in the WV mountains and down into north Georgia. They've logged with helicopter 5 times in my little area in the past 7 years. The trees just aren't near as big as what you've got in BC.

If BC is more expensive than Edmonton it would cost $10-12 dollars to pack lunch of 2 sandwiches.
:)

Latest posts

Back