chain saw'n

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of trees are you cutting that are that big??? I worked at a lumber mill for a few years, and anything over 5' diameter was a total PITA to deal with... we mostly cut Doug Fir around here... I found these trees while out on a drive with the family. Most of the big ones are gone now...
View attachment 375009

alot of the north faces are still untouched here in Canada so there is still lots of old growth. only ****** thing is the old timers took all the nice south side tree's and left us all the ugly rotten north side tree's to deal with. the older guys still in it tell me that when they started doing north faces the danger of the job doubled just cause of the ****** wood. it is rare to find fir that big down on near roads of course. we only have 2 area's with fir that big that can be accessed by road. get into an old growth cedar stand and you'll be working your ass off all day just to get 3 tree's on the ground. alot of them get quartered just so the helicopter can lift them out of the bush to the landing. :laugh: imagine ripping a old growth cedar laying on it's back. just that would take forever. all this on a 60%+ grade :dizzy:

Back